Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Flight Gear One

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Flight Gear One

Postby openflight » Fri May 31, 2019 8:27 am

I have restarted by project, called it Flight Gear One, as I am using and old laptop for various reasons discussed here as well:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=21385&start=15

Contributing to Wiki and aircraft in later versions in not out of the question, I find this FG 1 easier to use.

Web site for Flight Gear One:

https://sites.google.com/site/flightgearone/home

Several questions:

1. Can I host the Win 32 .exes for Flight Gear version 1 on SourceForge, with the GPL Licence applied?

2. Can I store the aircraft zip files on Source Forge? This will only be for GPLd licenced aircraft.

I don't want the binaries to suddenly become unavailable, nor the older aircraft if someone decides they are obsolete.

The earliest set of aircraft was listed as for version 1.9.1 available at this location: http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/f ... aft-1.9.1/
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Re: Flight Gear 0.98 / Flight Gear Legacy version

Postby bugman » Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 am

For your questions, legally that is not an issue as long as you also distribute the sources. However it may not satisfy the SourceForge contracts. You probably will need some sources repositories. Some options:

• Mirror the current repositories so the source code for the binary version is available.
  • Create a blank repository and deposit the aircraft there, in addition to uploading the zip files.
  • Create new source repositories and only check in the code for the exact version you distribute.

The idea is interesting. But something that might be more useful, though require significant core development, would be to create a new render for low end systems or OpenGL ES, as well as other options to use the old world scenery, etc. I always wondered what FG would look like in AAlib ;) The reliance on OpenSceneGraph may make such developments more difficult though.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby openflight » Fri May 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Edward, thanks so much for your help, however I have no idea how to do this:

Do you mean host the contents and the directory structure on a separate server? Can I use Google Drive?
Do you mean host the source code for FG as well as the .exe?
openflight

Postby bugman » Fri May 31, 2019 12:35 pm

To provide the compiled binary files, to meet the obligations of the GPL you will need to provide the source code that was used to produce those files. This code already exists on the FlightGear SourceForge page. I could be wrong but, as far as I understood the SourceForge terms of use, you will need to provide the sources yourself (within SourceForge hosted git or svn repositories of your new project) so that the sources stay with the binary files (for example if FlightGear moves its repositories to a different open source infrastructure):

By submitting Code to SourceForge.net, you certify that your Code is in compliance with the OSI-Approved or compliant license that you designate, and you hereby represent and warrant that you have all rights, licenses and consents necessary to grant Slashdot Media and other users the rights and licenses granted herein, and under the OSI-Approved or compliant license you designate, without infringement of any third party rights. In addition, the Code that you submit must also be made available in human-readable (i.e., “Source Code”) form. Whenever reasonably feasible, you agree that you will make Source Code available on or via SourceForge.net corresponding to Code that you post, submit, display or distribute. You must make Source Code available for all portions of Code that you have modified, enhanced or otherwise created derivative works from (with any such modification or derivative work being a “Change”).

This is however not difficult to do.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Re: Flight Gear One

Postby Octal450 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:29 pm

_
Last edited by Octal450 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby openflight » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:48 am

This is however not difficult to do.

I understand the concept. For aircraft files, this will not apply, though I have to be careful that the aircraft produced are GPLd.
openflight

Postby bugman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:22 am

I would nevertheless put the old aircraft into a new repository. The reason being that someone using Flight Gear One might want to make some changes or improvements to an aircraft.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby openflight » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am

openflight

Postby openflight » Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 am

I am continuing to run and enjoy FG1, Flight Gear version 1.0, running in Linux Mint 18 and under WINE. Currently flying the Mirage 5, which I converted to .rgb graphics.

Took off from KHAF and landed at KTCY, just managing to stop short of the runway end, using aerodynamic braking, holding nose up after landing as seen in the real thing.

Posting a screenshot of aircraft ready to take-off at KTCY again. Is there enough runway? But look at the graphics, shading, shadows, etc.

BTW I am running FG 2018 in native mode also, with reduced resolution.

Current Machine:
-cpu
product: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 1
bus info: cpu@0
size: 2160MHz
width: 64 bits

-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
openflight

Return to The FlightGear project