Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Flight manager won't save flight plan

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Flight manager won't save flight plan

Postby RickKMOB » Thu May 02, 2019 9:54 pm

I'll enter a flight plan (way-points) using the flight manager add feature and when I attempt to save the flight plan Flightgear closes and the flight plan is not saved.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04
I have 16 gigs of ram
and 500 gigs of hard drive space free.

For example I've been trying to save this flight:
HECA FYM KATAB DHR IMN BOD NSL ADR TDF TGN GCTS

When I click on save the save screen comes up asking me to name the plan, I do, then hit save the screen flickers, flightgear closes and when I reopen flightgear the plan was never saved.

Suggestions?
RickKMOB

Re: Flight manager won't save flight plan

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 am

What FG version you are using?
I have tested now with 2018.3.2 and 2019.2.0. Both are working as it should (save and load).
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:45 pm

the next question i would ask is "which directory was the OP trying to save the flight plan into?"...
i forget which release it was but there is now a better default directory coded... i think it is the flightgear Export directory in each user's home directory where their settings are stored...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby RickKMOB » Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm

2018.3.1 its the only one I can find for Linux based systems
RickKMOB

Postby RickKMOB » Fri May 03, 2019 3:20 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Fri May 03, 2019 1:45 pm:the next question i would ask is "which directory was the OP trying to save the flight plan into?"...
i forget which release it was but there is now a better default directory coded... i think it is the flightgear Export directory in each user's home directory where their settings are stored...

The export directory is where it is trying to be saved.
RickKMOB

Postby ORZMUD » Mon May 06, 2019 5:39 am

Linux / 20190201 Src build from today morning.

I created a flight route and then when clicking on the Save button, the file save window shows up and even while trying to save the route in the export directory and click the "Save" button the screen froze and the FG crashed.

Upon restarting FG I tried loading the route, the file was there but not all the data was saved. After re-updating the route and saving the file, exiting from FG and relaunching, I verified the route was properly saved.

Regards,
ORZMUD

Callsign: ORZMUD
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby tdammers » Mon May 06, 2019 11:18 am

Start flightgear from a terminal and trigger the error again. You should see some logging output in the terminal, and that might give you a clue as to what exactly goes wrong. You may even want to `tee` the output into a file, e.g.:

fgfs your-fg-options-here |& tee output.log

Now you can just look at the output.log file after the crash and scroll and grep to your heart's desire.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby ORZMUD » Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 am

Well the issue was that the application froze, there was no logs on screen to identify where the problem is.
ORZMUD

Callsign: ORZMUD
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby dilbert » Sat May 25, 2019 10:55 am

Am using 2018.3.2 on WIN10, not LINUX, so this response may or may not have relevance.

Saving a route on the generic system fails for me, as well. When I click "save" nothing seems to happen. Thereafter, if I click close, the following happens:

The program acts like it's restarting: "FlightGear 2018.3.2 Licensed,etc" is displayed, as well as the picture of my aircraft, and the message "loading aircraft".

At that point, the program hangs indefinitely until I kill it with the task manager. When the task manager is engaged it displays fgfs(2) as the running AP.

Until I have killed the program, the log displays repetitive iterations of the following:

cxx:56: FLIGHT synthesis thread exiting

cxx:109: FLIGHT synthesis thread joined OK

This happens regardless of whether Save was attempted before or after Activation. So far, Have tried it with both the T2C and the Aermacchi MB 339.

P.S. Not a recent development, as it does same thing when running 2017.1.1.

Kind Regards to all
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:45 pm

dilbert wrote in Sat May 25, 2019 10:55 am:Saving a route on the generic system fails for me, as well. When I click "save" nothing seems to happen.

it may be that the file dialog is hidden behind the sim... try using ALT-TAB to switch over to it...
OR are you talking about when you click the [Save] button in the file dialog?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dilbert » Sat May 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Talking about the Save button that's between the Load and Close buttons at the bottom of the Auto Pilot/Route Manager entry menu, which I assumed
would be used to save a route having been entered in same.
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

i can't load FG to look at this but i think this is the save button that brings up the file dialog where you can name the file and select the directory... as noted above, when this happens, try ALT-TAB to see if you can find the ""hidden"" OS native or Qt dialog and complete the actual naming and saving of the file...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dilbert » Sat May 25, 2019 9:28 pm

When press Alt-Tab the program displays a smaller, but exact duplicate of my cockpit view, including the superimposed Route Manager menu, which
is framed in black, and has a small icon and "FlightGear" in the upper left corner. Mouse then won't travel beyond the confines of the Route Manager menu;
and have to use task manager to leave program.
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:09 pm

ALT-TAB is the standard method to switch between running programs and dialogs... your description seems to indicate that there is no other dialog that opens ""behind"" FG... you probably should bring this up on the mailing list... i have no way of testing it :?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dilbert » Sun May 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks. May be strictly a Windows thing. Kind regards :)
dilbert

Return to Flying