Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Flightgear generated scenery models

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Flightgear generated scenery models

Postby Alex H » Sat May 18, 2019 2:46 pm

I've been adding shared models and a few of my own design to fill my empty Flightgear corner of the world.

Most of the time i have few problems, but today i come across this.

This is the view from the Bluebird explorer (the tank height is an error in elevation)

This is the view from the Flightgear scenemodels map with satellite view turned on

Is there a solution to this? or do we have to wait for scenery regeneration?
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Version: 2019.2.0

Re: Flightgear generated scenery models

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm

scenery regeneration is required...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 pm

I am a bit confused. I thought if you placed the models using -9999 for elevation the models are places on the ground. Or are we looking at a different problem?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby xDraconian » Sat May 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Alex,

Set the tank elevation to a negative offset to move most of the tank underground. The tank models are 100m tall, so if you want 30m above ground you would set the elevation to -70.

edit: assuming your ground elevation is 15m, the final elevation = -70m + 15m = -55.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby xDraconian » Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 pm:I am a bit confused. I thought if you placed the models using -9999 for elevation the models are places on the ground. Or are we looking at a different problem?

The magic number -9999 is a method to indicate that the model elevation should be recalculated whenever the terrain is regenerated. But this trick only works for models of a fixed height because it assume the base of the model should be placed at ground elevation.

This doesn't work for generic models like: office buildings, tanks, towers because they are, by design, expected to be offset below ground. The advantage being that it allows for a single model to be reused to represent models that tend to varying in height.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby Alex H » Sat May 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Forget the tanks, thats's trivia - is it possible to get rid of all that generated scenery?

Regards

Alex
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Postby f-ojac » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm

It's not a generated scenery in that case. Someone (c) deliberately placed the objects at that place, but simply forgot to add an offset. The only clean solution is to edit those few tanks and add an offset to them, and they'll be just fine.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby wlbragg » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm

I apologizes Alex H, you are talking about the ground cover textures.

As wkitty42 said, scenery regeneration is required. That is probably "industrial" land class and really should be grassland with detailed industrial models like your trying to add on top of it. Early on when the scenery was generated there was a decision made to at least try to make scenery match as best they could to the actual land class of that area. Maybe it would have been better to not used "man made" land classes at all, anywhere in the base scenery and only as an overlay so we weren't stuck with this type of issue. Food for thought in the next scenery generation.
wlbragg

Postby statto » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:36 pm

In the alternative you can swop out the "industrial" texture...
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 am

statto wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:36 pm:In the alternative you can swop out the "industrial" texture...

I knew there had to be a way to do this but I couldn't for the life of me figure out an easy way. Simple, yes, you can swap out any of the textures for your own custom texture and get the results your looking for. :mrgreen:
wlbragg

Postby V12 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:00 am

Object placement doesn't works as it described. When I use -9999, object should has zero elevation offset. Any value other than -9999 should set elev offset to that values. But import system ignore manual elevation offset data. If scene editor have not Blender or other modeling tool accepting .AC models, he can not determine height of the object and can't enter elevation offset.
Someone should check code for object mass import function. I was very angry, when observed this bug 3 months ago (viewtopic.php?p=343425#p343425). This is reason, why I will not upload my works to terrasync.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Alex H » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 am

wlbragg wrote in Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 am:
statto wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:36 pm:In the alternative you can swop out the "industrial" texture...

I knew there had to be a way to do this but I couldn't for the life of me figure out an easy way. Simple, yes, you can swap out any of the textures for your own custom texture and get the results your looking for. :mrgreen:

But, I wasn't looking to do it for me, I was looking to do it for everyone. :(
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:34 pm

As I said elsewhere, global autogen scenery is unlikely to provide a match everywhere to reality - so you have to minimize tension and give up on the idea that you can make FG look as reality in a particular spot.

Options:

1) You address a whole region - then you can re-write both the ground texture definition and the distribution of random objects and buildings - this can be reviewed and merged

2) You address a single spot

2a) you re-generate the scenery and introduce your own custom landclass for the spot you want to change - then you can change everything, but it won't be distributed with TS, it has to be custom scenery

2b) you add a model 'base' to your object and texture it differently - again, this prevents it from being distributed via TS
Thorsten

Return to Scenery