Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Diamond DA20 "Katana" (improving current git version)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Diamond DA20 "Katana" (improving current git version)

Postby ludomotico » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:12 am

The Diamond DA20 Katana is a basic training aircraft.

This is the aircraft that is used in my flying school, so I'm really interested in the model that the current version of flightgear provides:

As you can see, the levers on the pedestal are not modeled, switches are in the wrong order and the engine primer is not included.

I announce that I'm working on an update of this aircraft and any help will be welcomed. This is my first model, I have no prior experience and only a few hours of fly training on the real aircraft.

My objectives are modeling the panel to allow performing the procedure checklist and update the model to better match the behavior of the real aircraft under normal training operations. This way, I can repeat at home the lectures that I received at the school :)

This is a snapshot of the current version:

The model is still under heavy development. For example, you can switch the engine primer on as the checklist suggests, but the engine will start regardless of the state of the primer. Primer and fuel pump will run even if the electric system is switched off. Ligths won't change their state, regardless of the switchers position. The mixture lever definitely does not work as in the real engine. And many other things.

Any help is welcome, including testing. You can download the current version of the model from: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13130748/katana.zip (you'll have to overwrite the correspondent directory of the last git version)
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Re: Diamond DA20 "Katana" (improving current git version)

Postby jeep » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 pm

as i see , the mixture lever seems to work : when it is on position, the engine don't start ...

for electrical system, see what i have done on the da42 http://jcheney.free.fr/flightgear/Diamond_Da42/Diamond-Da42.zip

for the electic pump, see what thorsten have done on the seneca II

if you want, i can help you on the electrical system ...
jeep

Postby ludomotico » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks, jeep, I'll check your models and suggestions tonight.

I'm absolutely lost with the electrical system. For example, I though that some module of fgfs was in charge of switching lights off after pressing the correspondent button. Do I need a Nasal script to model the lights?

The mixture lever works, but I believe that its behavior is not like the one on the Katana: I feel that the "poor" position is still too rich. May be lack of experience, though.
ludomotico

Postby jeep » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:13 pm

i take the bukaroo script for the electrical system. i used an another for the pc6 but it's too complicate
the bukaroo script simulate battery, generators, switch, circuit breakers ... it simulate voltage but not amperage ...

for the mixture, it's the yasim fdm that simulate the rich parameter ... so you have to read the source in C++ to anderstand ....
jeep

Postby mike4 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 pm

As you fly the real thing, you could make a photorealistic cockpit etc. Looking forward to that. Many thanks
Swiss (non GPL) airports:
http://fgfs.sgier.com/
mike4

Version: GIT

Postby jeep » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:14 pm

hello

i place an archive of the katana here http://jcheney.free.fr/flightgear/Katana.zip

you can see an example of the bukaroo's script :
i add electrical.nas and electrical.xml in the nasal directory and change some of your files (search the string "added by JPC")

you can test it with the landing light :
if the master bat switch or the alt switch is not on, the landing light will not light up . note that the alternator need to have more than 600 rmp on the engine

i also correct a path (for the liveries)

have a nice day (and a nice work on it ...)
jeep

Postby ludomotico » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks, jeep. I was introducing some of the scripts that you used in the DA42 without luck. If you did the dirty job, I will definitely use your work.

I'll try to take photos of the real panel next Thrusday.
ludomotico

Postby mike4 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 pm

ludomotico wrote in Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm:I'll try to take photos of the real panel next Thrusday.

Great. If you take images straight from the front at a 90 degree angle it's the easiest to map them later in Blender.
Swiss (non GPL) airports:
http://fgfs.sgier.com/
mike4

Version: GIT

Postby jentron » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Sorry to be late to the game, but I don't browse the forum very often. I did a DA20A1 and DA20C1 a few years ago. You can check it out from its own git repository here: https://gitorious.org/da20-a1-katana/ The exterior 3d model isn't very good, and its had some bit-rot in the flap lights and pitch trim lights from FG 2.4 but the systems were built to mimic the PoH, almost everything worked with fg2.4.

I had intended to merge it into the FGData tree but helijah and I had a mis-understanding so only his YASim thing is in FGData.
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby ludomotico » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:09 am

Just a short message to thank everybody for the support that I'm receiving. I'm still working on this aircraft. Advances are much slower than I'd wish, but I can only use a few hours once a week.

In the current version of the model (remember: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13130748/katana.zip ), you'll find:

- An update of the 3D models, interior and exterior, including new shaders for the instruments. helijah, the original author of the model, kindly provided these upgrades some days ago. Moreover, helijah also updated some of the yasim parameters.
- I prefer some of the instruments that jentron used in his model. The warning panel, trim panel, clock and compass are his. I'm also using his fuel management code.
- A preliminary electric system using jeep's indications.

Please, take in mind that there are still lots of work to be done. For example, I have to update textures using photographs from the real plane, and fix the electric and fuel systems.
ludomotico

Postby ronh » Sat May 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is the DA20 still being updated? I have also started an update to this aircraft. I can't get in touch with helijah to ask permission.
Is this abandoned? I am trying to make the C1 Eclipse version, not the A1, also working on DA40 Diamond Star and DA42. If there are any updates that any one could send me and I incorporate in my plane, thanks in advance.
Ron
Windows 10 VS 2015, 2017
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
ronh

Version: next

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 am

Just because you're writing about also improving the DA40, for your information, I am currently working on this aircraft (specifially the -NG variant) with quite major changes (new 3D, new FDM).
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby ronh » Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 am

Thanks for letting me know - then I look forward to your DA40. That's the diesel right? Slightly different cowl/nose. And that nose wheel.
Ron
Windows 10 VS 2015, 2017
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
ronh

Postby D-ECHO » Sun May 12, 2019 6:08 am

Yup, it's the diesel version. There is still a lot to do, but I just might release a test version via my git soon.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby stuart » Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi D-ECHO,

Slightly off-topic, but are you planning to integrate the FG1000 with this? If so, let me know if you need any assistance and/or the documentation is not clear.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Next

Return to Aircraft