Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Keyboard Commands

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Keyboard Commands

Postby Donsor » Fri May 10, 2019 4:01 am

I'm a newbie in this forum. Although this is the first time I've tried Flight Gear, I've had vast experience with other Flight simulator games. My first question is: Is there a list of Keyboard Commands available for this game? Also, I use a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick. This game recommends to use joy stick but how do I assigned the joystick features to the game?

Thanks

donsor
Donsor

Re: Keyboard Commands

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 10, 2019 6:09 am

Keys are conceptually assigned per craft (as some of them really have special needs - a Space Shuttle doesn't need mixture controls, but it does need a way to simulate both a translational and a rotational control stick).

The key commands that are available FG-wide are usually either affecting the simulation itself (view controls, time acceleration, instant visibility changes,...) or are used by convention (usually g and shift+g will operate gear where this is possible).

A well-maintained aircraft should provide a help dialog with its own set of relevant key commands (which the user can over-ride), but there is no central list, because a keystroke is just an event to which pretty much any action can be assigned.
Thorsten

Postby Donsor » Fri May 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Not unlike FSX Steam whereby in "Controls" section is a complete set of Key & Joystick assignments applicable to all types of aircraft. I'll contact the Flight Gear support and see if they can help.
Donsor

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 pm

I'll contact the Flight Gear support and see if they can help.

Huh? Let me know if you find any support team - it'd be cool to finally have one :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby FlugHund » Fri May 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Both lists, the one for general actions and the aircraft specific ones, are accessible insim via Menu --> Help.
Also, sometimes the wiki has some ideas: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Keyboard_shortcuts
The most detailed/verbose list is the one FG reads its settings from, keyboard.xml.

A simple joystick settings dialogue also is available in the menu, somewhere. For cases where this simple one fails, one has to alter the joysticks .xml file.
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... Joysticks/
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby stuart » Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 pm

To change the bindings for your joystick select File-> Joystick Configuration from the menu.

There is also a list of common keys in the Docs directory of your installation - ShortRef.pdf

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby sim » Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Or open Keyboard.xml and see every key that has been allocated and what function it performs. :wink:
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Return to Flying