Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

Adding Instruments

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Adding Instruments

Postby dhudach » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:53 am

This may be a silly question. I was reading a bit about adding instruments to a panel. I kind of get that, you find the instrument, add it to the configuration, place it on the panel. But how does FG know to correctly model the behavior of that instrument? Does that make sense. In other words, something can be added to the panel and FG will 'put it there' but what connects it with proper behavior. I ask because I am interested in trying to add an ILS instrument gauge to the Cessna 310. Currently it only has one VOR. But I want to add another VOR or and ILS gauge. Let me know if what I'm asking makes sense.

Thanks,
Dave
Flight Instruction Elevator Control: pull back = houses get smaller, push forward = houses get bigger.
dhudach

Re: Adding Instruments

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:45 am

Standard aircraft instruments are simulated by the FG core (you can request them via a declaration, but the default also contains quite a few). They drive properties under /instruments/ and the shared 3d instruments which you can simply include into the panel use these properties.

If you make your own 3d model of an instrument, you have to write animations which are driven by these properties as well.

If you need any non-standard instrument (spacecraft have a lot of those...) you need to write it all from scratch, including the isntrument simulations.
Thorsten

Re: Adding Instruments

Postby dhudach » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:24 am

Excellent. Ok, thank you !!

Dave
Flight Instruction Elevator Control: pull back = houses get smaller, push forward = houses get bigger.
dhudach

Return to Cockpit development