Board index FlightGear Support

Disable Naviagtion database?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Disable Naviagtion database?

Postby www2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Is there a way to disable NavDatabase for using a external application that manage ADF/NAV radios?
www2

Re: Disable Naviagtion database?

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:10 pm

not that i know of... maybe you can ask on the developer's mailing list? see the link to the mailing lists at the very top of the page above the graphic if you are not already on the list...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby www2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:28 pm

wkitty42
All ready done.
www2

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:09 pm

i saw your post just a few minutes ago... let's see what happens ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 pm

there are several points to keep in mind here:

the navcache/navdb is not a "proper" SGSubsystem in the FlightGear sense, when we were developing the MapStructure framework, we ended up wrapping the corresponding navdb APIs so that we could override those with our own - this was primarily to test with proprietary/external navdata, or online navdata sources

That being said, it would not be complicated to patch fgfs and totally disable the navdb. But what you probably want instead is a way to re-map those APIs to an alternate source, this is commonly achieved using scripted Nasal delegates, I believe the route manager uses that approach.

Finally, under the hood, it's really just an SQLite database, so if you should find the corresponding people unresponsive, you can simply use an SQLite editor to look at the DB and come up with a python script to create a matching file.

I do agree that this is not very elegant, but it would at least work "as is" - obviously, when it comes to runways, airports etc - there remains the issue of possibly mismatching terrain/scenery data.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Support