Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Launcher lists aircraft twice and scrolls slowly

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Launcher lists aircraft twice and scrolls slowly

Postby tfreriks » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Followup question: I installed 2018.3.2 and there are duplicate instances of almost every aircraft. Also, the aircraft menu scrolls REALLY slow, like the computer is working way too hard. I did get an XML from a hangar. Ideas?
tfreriks

Re: Uninstall Flightgear

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:19 pm

I installed 2018.3.2 and there are duplicate instances of almost every aircraft.

I doubt that - an FG installation only includes the default aircraft and the ufo. If you have duplicates installed on your harddisk, it's because you installed them.
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I think what tfreriks is saying is: his menu listing has twinned or two entries for every single instance of installed aircraft.

I get that on my newest FG installation's menu, it might have something to do with installing FG into the default Program Files folder in Windows.

The slow scrolling might be that you have a lot of big PNG splash image files and a older, slower video card. Converting the images to .jpg and changing the name of the images from "xxxxx.png" to "xxxxx.jpg" in the set file might help, but it's a lot of work if you have a lot of aircraft.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby tfreriks » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:55 pm

My video card is very fast, so that's not it. I didn't have the issue until I installed 3.2. When in doubt, reboot. I'll try that when I land in Knoxville.
tfreriks

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Slow scrolling is generally due to loading the thumbnails - more disk work than actual rendering most likely.

Having double entries will make things worse as you have to load each thumbnail twice, so fixing that might help.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:34 am

I miss being able to use the viewer from FGrun when I'm doing new aircraft. Being able to check the placement of controls, cockpit panels and gauges.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Gijs » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:38 am

Hi tfreriks,

Can you check what's listed on the Addons page of the launcher? I think I've seen double listed aircraft when the paths were configured incorrectly. E.g. when adding the default aircraft directory (not needed!) or listing two hangar catalogs containing the same aircraft.

LesterBoffo wrote in Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:34 am:I miss being able to use the viewer from FGrun when I'm doing new aircraft.

You can use FGViewer for that.

Gijs

PS: I've split the above posts from the other topic since that one was about uninstalling FlightGear and unrelated to these questions.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Return to Installation