Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

issue with scenery installation from thumb drive

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

issue with scenery installation from thumb drive

Postby flybyday » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 am

I purchased flightgear from the flightgear store on a thumb drive. I had no trouble installing flightgear and all the scenery on it on an older computer running on Windows 10. But I had trouble following the same process to do the installation on a computer that’s only about 6 months old, better suited to video gaming and running on Windows 10. After the installation everything seems normal when go to various airports in the Hawaiian Islands but the rest of the airports only show a gray area outside the cockpit window. I disabled my anti-virus program, Windows Defender, prior to the installation of everything on the thumb drive. During the installation of the scenery I saw many messages on the installation status window like the following:

1 E\Scenery\Airports\.dirindex
Can not open file as archive
2 E\Scenery\Airports\0\.dirindex
Can not open file as archive

Also, on the installation status window there was a line reading “Errors:…[some number]” and at one point [some number] was 80034.

How can I solve this problem?
flybyday

Re: issue with scenery installation from thumb drive

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 am

do you have internet access on that machine?
do you have "update scenery" enabled?
are you using the built-in launcher?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby flybyday » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

I should first clarify: When I go to the airports not in the Hawaiian Islands it’s just the ground that appears gray (it’s actually grayish green). The sky appears normal and I see a few planes in the distance.

Thanks for your response. I do have internet and understand that scenery can be loaded using that but I first want to get scenery loaded from the thumb drive. As I described in my original post I was able get the scenery from the thumb drive loaded onto an older computer so I want to work on getting it loaded from the thumb drive into my newer computer.

Details about the newer computer:

Omen by HP
Model: 17-an198ms
A 17.3-inch laptop tested with Windows 10 Home, an Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz processor, 16GB of memory, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics, and a 128GB solid-state drive and a 1TB hard drive.
Current Windows 10 version: 1803
flybyday

Postby curt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

It almost sounds like the scenery is there on the new system, but the textures are not being drawn properly? Perhaps there is something going on with opengl or video drivers?
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:36 pm

@flybyday: can you provide a screen shot? upload it to a site like imgur and then post the link here... if the sim is running, you can use the F3 key to take a screen shot...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby flybyday » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

Screen shot of what I’m seeing at Seattle Tacoma International (KSEA): https://imgur.com/a/QBU7i9z

The error messages I mention suggest to me that some airport scenery files on the E (thumb) drive are not able to be opened, which would account for the airport details not showing in the screen shot. Could the cause of that be corrupted airport scenery files on the thumb drive?
flybyday

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm

yeah, that's definitely missing scenery...

are you trying to keep the scenery on the thumbdrive or are you installing it to writable media? the .dirindex files need to be writable so they can be updated when new scenery is downloaded... they certainly should not be being seen or used as archives since they are plain text files with the hashes for the files in the directory...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby flybyday » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am

The instructions that came with the thumb drive install the scenery on the thumb drive onto the hard drive of a computer, so that after the installation the thumb drive is no longer needed.

I don't think there is an issue with my drivers because I've not been having driver problem messages and I have a service that automatically updates my drivers.

I think this is a situation where the thumb drive may have gotten damaged and/or some of the files on it. Since it's not clear whether that happened on my end, I think it's fair of me to ask that I be able to purchase another thumb drive at a discount--I think a 50% discount seems reasonable. Does anyone know who I can contact to make this happen?
flybyday

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 am

The scenery is free to download.
* Start FG
* in the Launcher go to 'Settings'
* make sure that 'Download scenery automatically' is on

Now, FG should download and update the scenery if it is nedded.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby flybyday » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks for that advice. I may end having to do that. I was assuming that doing the scenery load from the thumb drive would improve the performance of the simulator since it would already be there vs having to download it.
flybyday

Postby bugman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:15 am

Did you use the 'safely remove the device' method for removing the USB stick?

It could be that it wasn't fully transferred prior to removal. There is a big disconnect in MS Windows between the window that pops up saying all files have been transferred and when all file 'contents' have been transferred. I would try copying again, and making sure that you point to your directory in the launcher.

If this fails, check the thumb drive. Just search on the internet for something like "how to scan a usb drive for bad sectors windows". This might also help:

Remember to check for bad sectors. I hope this info helps.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby flybyday » Thu May 02, 2019 1:55 am

Thanks for your suggestions, Edward and to all the others who've responded to this posting thread.

I usually try to select the eject command before physically removing anything from a USB drive. I did an error check of the thumb drive and found no problems. I've been using the option to download scenery automatically from the web, it does not seem to be adversely affecting the performance of my computer and that gives me the latest scenery, so at this point I'll not bother to work anymore at trying to get the thumb drive scenery transferred to my computer. But if anyone has any more thoughts to share on any aspect of this issue, you're sharing them would still be welcome.
flybyday

Return to Windows