Postby GinGin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks Wayne !!

@EatDirt: Nice for the camera config
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby amalahama » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:56 pm

GinGin wrote in Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:57 pm:

Oh those Entry Traj screens are lovely! Those trajectory guidelines and nominal altitude rates provide cool feedback. Thorsten, do you plan to add them at some point? I also miss the D tape
amalahama

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Those trajectory guidelines and nominal altitude rates provide cool feedback. Thorsten, do you plan to add them at some point?

You mean you actually fly entries by hand and need the guidelines? :?:

I'm sure I've said that before, but it's relatively easy to add lines to a screen, but it needs plenty of flight data gathering to draw lines which actually mean something. It was not so straightforward to assemble a good canned reference trajectory in the first place.

If anyone assembles the data, I'll provide the line, but a few tens of hours of data recording flying one entry after the other (manually yet precise, since the AP follows the canned trajectory!) is not my idea of fun.

And what's the value in a reference line if you're not getting the right drag when you're on the line?
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Concerning ADI, I tweaked around 0.8, still readable and contrast more present.
What do you think?

Concerning the lines, I made several tests.
Sharp entry, Low energy, nominal etc.

The thing I found is that the canned line you found and draw with datas is almost always right in the middle from traj 1 to 5
So far me, you draw a canned line for nominal path, which works very well

I find interesting to have all the lines to have an envelop, which is quite coherent .

When I was left of the hard boundary line, I was over the max thermal stress (traj 1), or above 2.5 G or 330 kt ( for traj 5)
Inversely, right of the righest line, I was so low on energy that I never caught the path.

So, just the envelop lines are,I think, worth it because you took Nasa wind tunnel, and it is so well tuned that it works in the sim .

Then concerning the reference dashed drag line, I need (far) more tests and datas on it, but it isn't far from what is coded in FG.
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:07 pm

I guess I'll just trust you on that one then.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Bug: the emergency flashlight in the dialog is broken as it cannot be turned off, but jumps to the second position of the slider, no matter what you do.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:22 pm

I'll let wayne deal with the flashlight...

I'm now finally ready with the new edition of the flight manual - I'll still browse a bit through it tomorrow, but then the next edition will be available with two new chapters on Rendezvous and Proximity OPS - and plenty of additions regarding launch performance, the OMS kit, fire suppression and whatever else is new.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:14 am

@legoboyvdlp the flashlight is fixed, good catch. I don't know how I didn't notice that when I added the flashlight. It actually kinda worked if you clicked on the slider bar VS trying to grab it and slide it. But yes, very buggy.

I also noticed a piece of Velcro was partially subterranean and fixed it along with a minor UV mapping mistake on the front COAS mounting plate.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby GinGin » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:05 am

Awsome Milestone.
So many additions in a few months :)
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 am

The new version of the Space Shuttle Flight Manual (both Standard and Deluxe edition) referring to milestone 11 is out (259 pages for the deluxe edition.)!

Please download and enjoy the version of your choice! Plenty of news on COAS, OMS kit, rendezvous and proximity operations, new dialogs,...
Thorsten

Postby amalahama » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Awesome! I have reading for this weekend now :)
amalahama

Postby eatdirt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Yeeaaaahh!!!!!

At last we will be able to understand in ten lines what NASA badly explains in 3 pages :mrgreen: Thanks Thorsten for the amazing work!! We sort of get used to it, but the amount of information you created with the code and the manual is simply amazing. You're a Space Agency by yourself! :shock:

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:59 am

I've done so far a RTLS (my first one where I survived :mrgreen:), a TAL, and a launch to orbit with OMS assist and kit.

Apart from the flashlight and velcro no bugs were found - remarkably stable release :)

I'll check out the fire next I think - or maybe orbital operations
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:03 am

I suspect that's largely GinGin's merit - he's done an awful lot of test flights with all kinds of weird scenarios.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:23 pm

I've done so far a RTLS (my first one where I survived :mrgreen:), a TAL, and a launch to orbit with OMS assist and kit.

Very Nice, did you like the trip back to KSC ? :)

I suspect that's largely GinGin's merit - he's done an awful lot of test flights with all kinds of weird scenarios.

Well thank you
Indeed, I pushed to Shuttle in its limits more than once :mrgreen:

Currently, I am comparing Real entry profile flown with FG one and making some excel stuff.
And that is really close :)

@Thorsten: I got a question about OPS 304 and speed.
When switching to OPS 304 at EI, we still have relative speed on the PFD, right ?

Do you remember when did you put the transition towards Earth relative Speed and Mach ?
GinGin

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight