Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Static aircrafts at airports

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Static aircrafts at airports

Postby Alex H » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm

I googled Vatsim and got this - you may like to inform someone

VATSIM.net | The International Online Flying Network
https://www.vatsim.net/

This site may be hacked.

as a newbie to commercial airports - how do you tell where the parking spaces are?

EDIT - I think i may have found it - the general aviation ramp?
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Version: 2019.2.0

Postby Lars » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Alex H wrote in Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm:I googled Vatsim and got this - you may like to inform someone

VATSIM.net | The International Online Flying Network
https://www.vatsim.net/

This site may be hacked.

They already know it. And if I remember correctly google added this note as some of the plugin the CMS VATSIM uses have had a vulnerability.

Alex H wrote in Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm:as a newbie to commercial airports - how do you tell where the parking spaces are?

EDIT - I think i may have found it - the general aviation ramp?

I as an VATSIM C1 controller can only speak for Germany (and perhaps also Europe). For commercial aircrafts you would get a gate within the taxi instruction (like DLH123 taxi gate 1 via A, B, C). As a GA aircraft you can expect to get something like taxi to GAT/ramp via A, B, C.
Lars

Version: next

Postby Isaak » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pm

I frequently fly in/out EHAM as the Dutch VACC has very frequent events like single runway ops, SRA approaches and the like. During these events, I've seen them assigning as much as 80% of the stands to traffic (that's over 100 stands!), with separate delivery, planner and 2 ground controllers for the ground movements only. Their job is already very demanding right now and they require every pilot to know their way around the airport, standard pushback directions etc. If there would be static aircraft at EHAM, this would be impossible to control, as generally speaking when you come in you'll only discover near the stand that it is occupied with a static aircraft and can mess up the operations when you only ask for a different stand at that time, possibly even requiring you to push back out of the ramp. For that reason, when we don't want to put rules up around static aircraft placement, I think everyone would benefit from the option to enable/disable it like we do with ai traffic, but I don't know how feasible that is. If the structure is provided, I would be very willing to manually tag static aircraft at all those different airports :-) I think this would be the best solution to keep everyone happy.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby Lars » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:44 am

Technically it is really easier than I first though .

I implemented a new STG VERB AI_STATIC_BLOCKING (maybe not final name). Objects with that flag will not be loaded when the options is activated. I need to add this into a gui menu (perhaps View/Rendering Options) and it should be ready to go on SIM side.

Furthermore I tested this in Boston and there are also many ground ops vehicles like catering, stairs etc. next to aircrafts (not the one not standind actively next to an aircraft). All these objects must also be within this category to be removed.
Lars

Postby ThomasS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 am

Just my thoughts about the issue:

1) I think adding a new STG verb is a good idea. I propose a verb not containing "AI", as static aircraft are not related to the AI subsystem. And not containing "BLOCKING", because blocking is no property of the object. Thats just the runtime option. Maybe a name like STATIC_AIRCRAFT.

2) The likely bigger challenge: I guess we'll need an additional attribute in the database for marking objects as static aircrafts. The STG exporter needs to know when to use the new verb.

And I agree to what others said: We should not just remove all static aircraft.

Best Regards
Thomas

PS: The extension to the database could be a general attribute for classifying the object in general. Thats something I could reuse (and maybe others) for my idea of creating a new STG verb AI_OBJECT, a scenery object that will be passed to the AI subsystem (eg. an animated jetway).
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:25 am

think adding a new STG verb is a good idea.

+1 - seems to be a good way to make everyone happy. May I suggest to bring this discussion to the mailing list as soon as possible - usually makes it much smoother to merge something in in the end.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:38 pm

ThomasS wrote in Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 am:Maybe a name like STATIC_AIRCRAFT.

i think STATIC_MODEL would be better since there are baggage piles as well as static vehicles and other similar static objects that would need to be removed when the static craft are removed to make room for the craft wanting the parking space...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ThomasS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:25 pm

good point
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Previous

Return to Scenery