Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Field Carrier Landing Practice ( FCLP ) Air Field

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Field Carrier Landing Practice ( FCLP ) Air Field

Postby jbflight » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:36 pm

I could not find a general discussion area but anyway,
I would like to know if any of you think this would be an easy win and something we should do. I become so addicted to this. And like for so many people, the aircraft carriers are the bees knees for me. So much so that searches on flightgear eventually put you on a page discussing the carriers so I know I am not alone in that.

I think that many people would greatly appreciate it if someone would create a field where flightgear enthusiasts could do Field Carrier Landing Practice or FCLPs. And I would like to know if you agree? I think it would be so easy ( relatively easy ) and an easy win for flightgear, if we could have a simple field the same width as the Nimitz and with four lines drawn on to represent the arresting cables so we could review and find out which cable we would be landing on exactly since the third cable is the desired target cable. The key feature, and I hope this is easily possible, would be to copy the best Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System from the aircraft carrier and put it on the side of the field, like the US Navy actually does at their practice fields.

Would be nice to have a Tower next to the field for the LSOs and maybe a row of trees or something marking the 1.2 miles abeam and the place to make the 90 Deg turns.

Then a few words about it on the how to carrier page.

Please reply and let me know if you think that would be cool if you are a user and especially if you are one of the gurus creating for flightgear.
jbflight

Re: Field Carrier Landing Practice ( FCLP ) Air Field

Postby Johan G » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Additional field markings and carrier deck lighting may be a bit complicated to add as changes to an airport requires regeneration of the terrain tile.

Creating a tower and the portable IFLOLS cart should be possible (and even arresting cables, though it seems such are not normally available).

It seems that sometimes just a regular runway with regular lighting is used (together with the IFLOLS of course). Maybe in a pinch the IFLOLS cart is sufficient, more or less being the IFLOLS from a carrier put on a cart and added to the scenery model database.

Relevant video: AIRBOYD - F-18 Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) (5 min)

Relevant doc (chapter one and three): CNATRA,* P-1211 - Flight Training Instruction, T-45, Strike - Carrier Qualification, (Rev. 05-14) (pdf, 4.5 MB) (Note: Airspeeds and procedures may be different for other aircraft than the T-45)

* Chief of Naval Air Training Academy
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Re: Field Carrier Landing Practice ( FCLP ) Air Field

Postby jbflight » Sun May 26, 2019 3:01 am

You got it! That picture is the image! I would spend hours on this runway! We would not need lighting and make it only day practice and from watching those videos they just do multiple touch and goes so I am thinking just paint some lines across the runway where the wires would be if it was a carrier and then, and I really love this about flightgear, you can look back at the instant replay video and see if your hook would have landed on the third line(wire) which is like the holy grail of carrier landings. This would have to be so welcome by those learning to land on carriers. Hmmm I wonder if they have ILS on those practice fields..... but one thing at a time.... thanks for the reply.... sorry about the late reply. I had to cut myself off a bit since this is so addictive ( smile )
jbflight

Return to Scenery