Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Development

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby eatdirt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Any of the active pilots - please take your ride for a spin and see if stuff generally works, go through procedures, systems management, whatever takes your fancy - I won't have time to test everything either.

Super nice work Thorsten, the new views from outside are astonishing, especially the 500m one, a breathtaking feeling to see the relative size of the Shuttle compared to Earth, beautiful!

I have just started flying again, and as I wanted to train my ISS approach, I started with
Code: Select all
fgfs --aircraft=SpaceShuttle-ISS

but the ISS is no longer around, I can see it on the Traj map that it is quite far away. I suspect that's expected with all the new changes. I am running FG 2018.3.2.

Otherwise, for the 3D view, I have noticed that if I first put (using the SpaceShuttle menu) the COAS in front, and then select it to have it back, not all the pieces are moving. A brightness wheel is actually staying alone at the front :)

As you can also see, the "velcro" visuals are gone again :(

The COAS brightness wheel is not movable neither, but I guess it is work in progress. Final remark, the "daylight filter" is sexy purple on my machine, dunno if this is the right color!

No long flight yet, that is coming!

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:07 am

wlbragg wrote in Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:27 pm:I'd say that was a very dicey re-entry as well. :lol: Looking at the condition of the fuselage you were at the upper limits of re-entry heat management.

Indeed - it was a TAL to BYD so a very steep entry path. It was certainly marginal :mrgreen:
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:26 am

@eatdirt I confirm the Velcro and COAS issues.
Might be a typo or something, I'm looking at now.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:48 am

COAS reticle intensity knobs were missing from select animations. That has been fixed and pushed to development. Thorsten will have to back port it to the release.
Still looking for what broke the Velcro fur shader.
Last edited by wlbragg on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:45 am

Thorsten, I found the commit that broke the Velcro fur shader. Just letting you know so you don't waist any time looking.
it was commit a4aeb72eabcfc639cc2dbad67eca2d82ae085b77
It's probably the materials again. I'll push a fix as soon as I identify the issue.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:23 am

I haven't found the problem yet. It doesn't appear to be the .ac. The material settings looked correct in the commit that broke the shader. To verify this I replaced the ac with the prior commit ac (one that was working) and the fur shader was still broken. So I think it is in the code somewhere. I tried commenting out all the coas code introduced in that commit but that didn't do the trick either. Maybe I missed something.
I don't know. My week isn't going well at all, I've more issues in other projects than I can't rectify to the point I am ready to find a new hobby. :x
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:48 am

At the 60 metre range the propellant dump seems odd:

All flame shader stuff does when you're inside the bounding box.

but the ISS is no longer around,

Yeah, didn't you all want to really fly to it? :mrgreen: Now it is where the Trajectory map says (but you can still force the old bevhavior via command line...)

Final remark, the "daylight filter" is sexy purple on my machine, dunno if this is the right color!

According to the reference pic I've seen yes. it does give a good contrast with green.

I didn't get an opportunity to try it before but now that I have, I do find the Ctrl + V shortcut slightly annoying when i want to jump back to the cockpit

Yeah, well, the question of an alternative was up for grab for two weeks, there was no other suggestion for the key binding, so now it's a done deal for the release.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:21 am

The velcro shader would only care about normals, not materials - the dust shader was sensitive to both of them. So likely normals are flipped somehow?
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Also, is the aircraft meant to feel "bouncy" as it goes past mach 22 or so? I realize the forces were quite high but it did seem to have some phugoid in the pitch axis.

From the description, I'd say it's fast drag modulation done by the AP (that actually reduces the need to do steep rolls...) - actual phugoids have a longer period, they last more than a minute.

Also, is yaw offset by 90 degrees here? This is in Aerojet with AUTO...

I dunno - HDI says you're pointing a few degrees less than east, ADI says the same and map agrees (the instruments show attitude, not course, they're not the same at such high AoA)

You survived, didn't you? So don't complain about what the AP does :mrgreen:

Speaking of entry , I noticed that the Dref is with a minus sign instead of positive one ( it was positive in previous version , I checked the screen )

I sure didn't touch that... :?: :?: :?:
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:07 pm:
From the description, I'd say it's fast drag modulation done by the AP (that actually reduces the need to do steep rolls...) - actual phugoids have a longer period, they last more than a minute.

Ah ok - didn't realize it was intended :mrgreen:

I dunno - HDI says you're pointing a few degrees less than east, ADI says the same and map agrees (the instruments show attitude, not course, they're not the same at such high AoA)

You survived, didn't you? So don't complain about what the AP does :mrgreen:

I always thought that the numbers in the top right were degrees offset from where you are going, ie showing alpha, beta, etc - not actually showing heading.

Yes I did :D
If it gets you home thats the main thing!

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:48 am:
All flame shader stuff does when you're inside the bounding box.

Is there anything that can be done about it?
Yeah, well, the question of an alternative was up for grab for two weeks, there was no other suggestion for the key binding, so now it's a done deal for the release.

That's fine - I can live with it, just a matter of getting used to it...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:37 pm

I always thought that the numbers in the top right were degrees offset from where you are going, ie showing alpha, beta, etc - not actually showing heading.

Nah - NASA doesn't like to do it simple. What it shows depends on what Major Mode you're in - there's a huge table at the end of the DPS dictionary listing all the different cases (admittedly not all the exotic ones are implemented).

Is there anything that can be done about it?

Probably detect whether you're inside it in the Shader and go to a conditional branch that treats that case. Might work or not, dependent on how the bounding box meshes with real geometry.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:57 pm

For Ascent OPS 1, LVLH frame will show the sideslip angle for the Yaw component, and REF frame the heading

For entry OPS3, both LVLH and REF frame show the heading for the Yaw component and Pitch attitude for Pitch component ( Beta is kept to zero by the entry DAP)
Pitch is equal to AOA until EAS start to increase where it begins to slightly differ due to relative wind increasing back into the atmosphere.

I sure didn't touch that... :?: :?: :?:

Mmmm, screen from last dev version

Dref negative instead of positive, and I think H ref should be negative as we target a negative vertical speed
Also,a question about the Dref value in FG . Is The Dref shown in FG the actual drag coming from IMU and not the referenced drag that will be commanded by AP ?

And here ( screen from a year ago)

Dref was positive ( Hdot still positive and wrong in my opinion)

Ah, also I talked about the superposition of " real entry " grid and the one we have.
I made many tests, from normal entry ( REI 4000 Nm) up to short one ( 2500 Nm and steep angle), and I found that the Dash line that represent the Reference Drag as a back up are quite consistent for the Shuttle Flight Model
Especially the left boundary ( thermal for traj 1, Charge factor up to 4 and EAS then) is really interesting, and in accordance with the FG shuttle envelop I find. ( Another sign of your good damn work)

GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Well it's not the blend/ac. I verified that by going back to a commit prior to breaking and exporting the new mesh. Nothing wrong with the Velcro. So it has to be something messed up in the code. I will try again to isolate, or remove and add back in all the new code that went into that commit and see if I can find it.
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:08 pm

@Wayne, thanks so much, but as you said, if you're busy, don't get obsessed with it, it is not like the absence of velcro fur prevents us flying the Shuttle :)

@lego, as Thorsten said, it is not difficult to set you own bindings, I am currently testing CTRL+SPACE for the View Manager (does not seem used by something else) and did it with:

fgfs --aircraft=SpaceShuttle-lunch --config=/home/chris/.fgfskeys.xml

with the config file .fgfskeys.xml being:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<PropertyList>
  <input><keyboard>

<key n="22">
      <name>Ctrl-V</name>
      <desc>Select initial view (view 0)</desc>
      <binding>
        <command>property-assign</command>
        <property>/sim/current-view/view-number</property>
        <value type="int">0</value>
      </binding>
    </key>

<key n="32">
      <name>Ctrl-SPACE</name>
      <desc>Shuttle View Manager</desc>
      <binding>
        <command>property-assign</command>
        <property>/controls/shuttle/view-manager-flag</property>
        <value type="int">1</value>
      </binding>
    </key>

</keyboard></input>
</PropertyList>

The first binding puts back CTRL+V to view 0, and the second sets CTRL+SPACE to view manager.

@Thorsten, yes, I am super excited flying to ISS from ground, I am just afraid to screw the last moments because I never trained docking to ISS before. I should be ashamed, but each time I have to use save and restore, it feels like cheating :)

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:03 am

OK, fur shader back in operation. It was some alpha on the texture sheet. I know what it was and how it got there. But I thought I cleaned it up and fixed it a long time ago. Oh well. It's fixed now.
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight