Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

black screen on startup

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

black screen on startup

Postby annevance » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi all, I am new to the game.
Just installed FG 2018.3.1 from the ppa on my Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
My laptop runs on an Intel i5- 8250, has 8 GB memory und uses Intel UHD graphics 620 Kabylake GT2 .

Installation went smooth.
After startup I get the the setting screen and the initialization screen which both look good.
Then, I get a black screen with the menubar on top. In the horizontal center of the black screen I see a wide picture of 1920 px and , what is best described as a cropped image of only perhaps 50 px high.

So I see a wide narrow "line" what probably should be the startup screen.

I have no idea where and how the problem can be solved.
Hope anyone recognizes the issue.
Thank you.
annevance

Re: black screen on startup

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:53 pm

can you provide a screen shot? post it to imgur or similar and provide a link here so we can see it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby annevance » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Thank you for your response, I really feel soooo stupid now. I was making some screenshots while starting up, and as it progressed, the screen now suddenly looked as it should. Only difference was that the joystick was not plugged in. After I plugged it in the program still worked well. I will do some more tests with the stick and keep you informed. Sorry for now.
annevance

Postby annevance » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:34 am

Sorry to say but this morning it started up as it did in the past. so with a black screen.
Here are some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/uEklCLa
I started this morning without a joystick.
Regards
annevance

Postby xDraconian » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:08 pm

That is a night view. You can change the time setting via the Environment menu or within the Launcher.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby annevance » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 pm

Wow , that's it. I changed to "noon" and I have my regular vieuw back. Thank you so much. Next step, learn to fly.
annevance

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 pm

i was thinking that it was a night time offset problem which is why i asked for the screen shots ;)

i'm glad it was this simple...

and yeah, you should think about the location you are flying from/to and where they are in time compared to your physical location... this is actually a nice feature of FG... an example that caught me out a few times when i first came aboard is that i'm on the east coast of the US... right now, it is 16:20 my local time... if i decide to fly from EDDF, for instance, it is after midnight there...

sometimes, when i'm in a craft i don't fly very often, i will set the time to noon just so i can see the initial buttons and switches i need to use to turn on the lights and start preparing the craft for my flight... once i have that done, i'll return the time to clock time so it is realistic for the airport in relation to my location's real clock...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hardware