Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bush planes

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bush planes

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Nice Tailwheel guide!

One thing I do different is beginning my descents on downwind.

Also 3 point landings are easier so I recommend them for hard to steer and light tailed aircaft.
Last edited by MountainFlyerN22 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Stalls:
There are 2 basic types of stalls. Power-on stalls & Power-off stalls.

Other "advanced" stalls are Power-on/Power-off turning stalls, Secondary stalls, Crossed controlled stalls, Elevator trim stalls, Accelerated stalls and Spins.

Power-Off stalls:
commonly occurs when you get too slow on approach. When the pilot tries to stretch the glide.
    1) Establish a glide: reduce power,full flaps,establish normal glide speed,extend landing gear if applicable.

2) Induce the stall: maintain coordinated flight using right rudder, apply back pressure on the controls till aircraft begins to stall, maintain that pitch attitude till full stall occurs.

3) Recovery: simultaneously release back pressure, level wings with rudder, add full power, rudder to maintain coordinated flight, retract flaps to half.

4) Stop the decent: as flying speed is regained gently pull back on the elevator to stop decent, initiate a climb.
    if you apply back pressure to fast the plane may enter a secondary stall, too slow and the aircraft will accelerate too fast.

5) Return to cruise: establish positive rate of climb, retract flaps upon VY, retract gears if applicable. level off at desired altitude.

Power-on stall: commonly occurs on takeoff & go-arounds.
    1) Slow to liftoff speed: extend flaps if aircraft calls for flaps on takeoff, and gear if applicable.

2) Induce the stall: as liftoff speed is reached, simultaneously apply takeoff power and smoothly apply back pressure on the controls till aircraft begins to stall, maintain that pitch attitude till full stall occurs, maintain coordinated flight using right rudder.

3) Recovery: simultaneously release back pressure, level wings with rudder, add full power, rudder to maintain coordinated flight, retract flaps to half if if lowered.

4) Stop the decent: as flying speed is regained gently pull back on the elevator to stop decent, initiate a climb.
    If you apply back pressure to fast the plane may enter a secondary stall, too slow and the aircraft will accelerate too fast.

5) Return to cruise: establish positive rate of climb, retract flaps upon VY, retract gears if applicable. level off at desired altitude.

Turning stalls: power on/off
Same as power-on/off stalls but in a 30 deg. turn

Stall speed goes up with the G load. Example: stalls when the pilot tries to "bank and yank" the aircraft around a turn.

MAINTAIN COORDINATION DURING ALL STALLS, FAILURE TO DO SO MAY LEAD TO SPINS!

To enter a spin:
enter a power-on stall
when the aircraft begins to stall apply full left rudder and right aileron.

N22
Last edited by MountainFlyerN22 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MountainFlyerN22

Postby SP-K79 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

That is a great guide to stalls. Good job.

Thank you for explaining this effect.

Keep in mind that taildraggers are high drag aircraft and these forces among others act a little differently on them, leading to odd behaviours.
Hue Peter Coal
JAFVA, Vice President
"Never fly where you have not flown in your mind, five minutes age."
SP-K79

Callsign: SP-K79
Version: 3.2.0

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

As for drag,it very much depends on the aircraft.
MountainFlyerN22

Postby swampthing » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:06 am

I'm just going to bring an old topic back to life. I was wondering if anyone had done any further development on bush planes or STOL planes.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 am

None that is actively being worked on that I am aware of other than the variants of the c172p and the j3cub.
It's something i would like to see more movement in and I would support any type.
I would really like to see some major work done to the Zenith STOL CH 750 and would love to have a CubCrafters X-Cub.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby swampthing » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:03 am

It would be cool to have a something similar to what FGUK has done to make the mach loop but on an airstrip somewhere to do STOL competitions.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Postby wlbragg » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:47 am

Yes that would be way cool. It wouldn't be hard at all to add models that mimic the field and markers in.a STOL competition and add them as an addon to go along with the aircrafts. Think of the ground equipment that comes with the c172p. You could do the same kind of thing but accessories for the competition, even a few "walker" judges.
That is a really good idea.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby swampthing » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:27 am

Thats beyond my skill set but maybe someone will read this and think about it, or at least making an AI scenario.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 am

[youtube]ZP-9mWqFh3c&t=140s[/youtube]
Last edited by Gijs on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix YouTube
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby swampthing » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Nice what are we flying there LesterBoffo?
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:50 am

That's a Sia Marchetti SM1109 Italian Turboshaft Cessna Bird-dog.

There's an interesting video of it flying out of the real Locher Airfield on YT
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby swampthing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:09 am

I have an L19 Bird dog Helija built for me. I asked if he knew where a model was, I was going to do it but he just made it. I've been thinking about making a bush version of it. Is there a link where I can get the plane you are flying LesterBoffo? Looks like fun to me. Can you reverse the pitch on the prop?
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Previous

Return to Aircraft