Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

JSBSim Piper J-3 Cub  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: JSBSim Piper J-3 Cub

Postby wlbragg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:31 pm

The 172p? good question, I would like to improve the side angles of the cockpit because they are angularly anomalous, with Blender I can do beautiful things, the format .ac I begin to hate it deeply, I would give anything to use the .blend format in flighgear (and I do not think only I).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this? FlightGear uses the .ac format and I guess is the limiting factor of how rich the code can be?
I use the "blend" file format when modeling and then only export to .ac. We have addons to export to that .ac file format and can add anything we want to the addon if it's useful, again with the caveat that it is FlightGear's use of the .ac format that would be the real limiter here, right?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby IceBreaker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Thank you, you understood my thought perfectly: the .ac format is limiting! but really so! with the .blend format (in the native blender file) textures, materials, animation bones and also additional data for the model, as well as having the native format of Blender (no import / export, so practical, fast, safe).

I've been using Blender for many years, AC3D (which natively uses the .ac format) is commercial software (I sincerely prefer wings3d which is open for modeling low-poly objects). I pray for the .blend format to be implemented in the future for FG models.

The Piper J3 Cub do you want me to make it from scratch based on the original one? I make screenshots in spelling and use the images as references, so in a short time model the entire external structure of the plane respecting the separate parts of course.

Let me know why it's not a problem for me.
IceBreaker

Postby wlbragg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 pm

The Piper J3 Cub do you want me to make it from scratch based on the original one?

No, not necessarily. I was asking the question as to what you did. What was the picture of, a remodel of the entire aircraft or just editing the existing mesh?
wlbragg

Postby IceBreaker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 pm

currently I make corrections to the current model, but in the 3D modeling the corrections are limited, the piper j3 cub unfortunately has many parts that require a remodeling from scratch.

Modeling from scratch the fuselage, the wings, the supports, the trolley, and the front area and the cockpit is not a problem, I can do it, and possibly take the engine and some existing parts of the original model and dye them, at the most remodel even those .

The model I am correcting works well, I have no problems with polygon overlap, or graphical glith inside flightgear.

I thought a lot about what to do and I decided to create my own github repository where I will publish my 3d models, all in the .blend format, including the png format textures and gimp .xcf sources.

This in my opinion is very useful, because other users can modify my work starting from native sources (blender and gimp) without exporting the models a thousand times, because this is the most delicate and bad phase of the 3D modeling of objects.

I update you as soon as I finish the first stages of the work, I publish the repository so those who want to contribute will have more accessible and easy to use material. I do my best, the Piper j3 cub is simple, the problem is the other planes :mrgreen:
IceBreaker

Postby wlbragg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 pm

OK, thanks IceBreaker.
wlbragg

Postby IceBreaker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 am

Thank you! in public days the first phases of my rework of the new model.

I started drawing the first components, I can do it and I want to model it well :wink:

Work in progress :mrgreen:
IceBreaker

Postby IceBreaker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm

The fuselage and the tail rudder are almost complete. I realize the whole model by creating the individual components as in the original model of FG.

- The names of the components in the 3d view rename them all exactly like the original model.

- does the .ac format have specific limitations? number polygons, materials, resolution textures, and more. I have to do research, because the .ac format I do not know (I used for years collada, .obj, .fbx, .x, native formats for openarena, xonotic, minetest, and other open source projects).

- Any suggestions from you are precious! I'm new to the Flightgear project and as an entry level I need to understand the right development conventions to make perfect and easily preservable 3d models in the future.

This model publishes it on my github repository in .blend format, while the textures in the appropriate folder also in the source format for Gimp (.xfc).

I read a lot about the FG wiki, and one of our main problems is the total lack of a quality standard, use of defined software (example Blender, Wings3D, Gimp, and only open source softare). AC3D just do not like (I beg your pardon) but I'm not compatible with Nendo style 3D modelers (the only one I use well is Wings3D for static objects is great).

Screenshots of the fuselage and tail rudder. Fortunately the Piper J3 Cub is a simple plane in the forms, there are also useful orthographic schemes like blueprints, photographs of the real plane (I want to recreate the same real proportions and details).

I hope I was clear, if you do not understand something, do not hesitate to tell me, I appreciate every form of advice, criticism, suggestion, and you can also throw me from 22,000 feet of altitude :mrgreen:

IceBreaker

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:54 pm

@wlbragg @stuart
Is the GFC700 currently simulated in FG? Perhaps I can help you out with that (as long as someone is willing to do 3D, as the only thing I can 3D model is a snowman :mrgreen:)

No worries about confusion!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Is the GFC700 currently simulated in FG?

See fgdata/Aircraft/Instruments-3d/FG1000/

In that directory is the basics Stuart is writing for the autopilot portion of the FG1000.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm

@IceBreaker
Don't forget we need both the J3Cub 65hp model and the pa-18 model. Currently we use a lot of the same parts where identical.
The vertical stabilizer in your model is the PA-18. The original J3 didn't have the extra surface area available in the VS.

Original J3 Cub

PA-18 SuperCub
wlbragg

Postby xDraconian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Nice work @IceBreaker. Looking forward to following your progress.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby IceBreaker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 pm

@wibragg Thanks for the information, in fact I discovered that the Piper Cub exists in many versions with different components. I really like it! I can make the base, then change the fuselage and add components to have all the variants of the P-18 and J3, it's a nice idea. If you work from scratch on one thing, it's worth organizing everything right.

@xDraconian Thank you very much for your support. I put so much passion, even if I'm not a pilot, but I've always loved this plane, so I want to pay tribute to this model.

I will be happy to follow your advice, because you all certainly have more experience of me in aircraft, structural and technical specifications. Thank you all.
IceBreaker

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:31 pm

If you look at pa-18.blend and j3cub.blend you can see how it is currently parted out.
wlbragg

Postby dany93 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:40 pm

IceBreaker wrote in Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 pm:(......) I put so much passion, even if I'm not a pilot, but I've always loved this plane, so I want to pay tribute to this model.

Thank you very much, IceBreaker. And welcome. :D
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby IceBreaker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm

@wlbragg yes, I look at photos of the real plane, as well as blueprints I found (viewed up, right, front). I can see all the details, made the base, save it separately so I can use it for both the j3 cub and the p18 supercub. Thank you.

@dany93 Thank you. I will be happy to share ideas, work, and experience with all of you. The beauty of Flightgear that we can fly anything, even the microwave :mrgreen:
IceBreaker

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft