Board index FlightGear Support Flying

F-15c crashes FlightGear when changing views

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: F-15c crashes FlightGear when changing views

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 am

How much RAM do you have - the exception is confusing me a little.

Also is there any chance that you can get a stack trace from a few different segfaults so we can compare? Also maybe try starting at FHAW and see if that makes any difference.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby cptRon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 am

I have 4 gigs plus 4 swap on ssd. But I have loaded large models like the space shuttle and the 777 with no problem. Not sure if that matters. That's what makes it so odd. This is the only aircraft I have encountered with this problem.

Just to note, the issue seems to be caused from something in the aft. I can rotate the camera to see the wings, but somewhere near the vstabs and the rear of the cockpit, the issue arises.

Also is there any chance that you can get a stack trace from a few different segfaults so we can compare?

sure, can I mail them to you. They can be large.
cptRon

Postby cptRon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 am

Ok, there's an update to the situation.

I decided to brut force this debugging, and discovered the issue has to do with the object '
Code (): Select all
EngineCovers
' in the .ac file.

I did some further digging and also found in blender, if I go to 'mesh->vertices->remove doubles' on the mesh, it fixes the issue. I'm not sure why double vertices would cause the issue. i'm not that familar with the way FlightGear handles the loading of objects. Perhaps the way it sets up its' indexed arrays and hence the std::vector fault. I am using an older version, it might be fixed in the newer version of FG.

Removing doubles on the EngineCovers mesh does seem to work though. I'll keep you posted if it reverts for some reason.

Also, it confirms the two different crashes I get are unrelated. The other one may have something to do with the loading screen, not sure though.
cptRon

Postby Maerchenprinz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 am

Hi Captain Ron!

I did some testing as well, and all I can say, and I'm sorry to say:
I have to add some more confusion here!

With a fresh pull of the F-15 from git and FG 2018.4.0, everything works fine!
- When I look closely at object "EngineCovers" in AC3D, I see 3 unnecessary vertices, "welding" them (like "remove doubles", repairing!) leads to exactly that crash you describe! :?:
Removing two unnecessary surfaces doesn't change anything... crash!

:D GOOD NEWS: :D
Untag the "glossy" effect in /Models/f15c.xml like this:
Code: Select all
    <!--effect>
        <name>glossy</name>
        <inherits-from>Aircraft/F-15/Models/metal</inherits-from>
        <object-name>EngineCovers</object-name>
        <object-name>Heat Xchanger.001</object-name>
        <object-name>SpeedBrakeRam</object-name>

<object-name>Right Main lower oleo</object-name>
        <object-name>Lower FWD oleo</object-name>
        <object-name>Left Main lower oleo</object-name>
    </effect-->

Something's wrong with the effect, that's all...

Ciao,

Admiral Adrian

P.S.: Ubuntu 18.04 and NVidia GT 710
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby cptRon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm

yeah, really weird. I have tried untagging the glossy effect, before I tried removing doubles, and it had no effect on my system. The only thing that worked was either hiding, or remove doubles on EngineCovers. And it works completely as expected on my system after removing doubles, no need to disable the effect tag.

Also, on the model I had, remove doubles removed 72 vertices, not only 3. Well different os(Fedora) and older version of FG, and intel onboard gpu . But still strange behavior. I'm sure there is a logical explanation.

Removing two unnecessary surfaces doesn't change anything... crash!

What do you mean by that? What are the two unnecessary surfaces? Does your EngineCovers mesh have somewhere around 72( can't remember exact number) double vertices?

So just to make sure I understand you correctly. Actually trying to fix the mesh in any way leads to crash, but leaving it alone,'out of the box,' is fine on your system?
cptRon

Postby Maerchenprinz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:40 am

Hi!

cptRon wrote in Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm:but leaving it alone,'out of the box,' is fine on your system?

Exactly!

[
What are the two unnecessary surfaces?

-Forget about that, sorry.

Also, on the model I had, remove doubles removed 72 vertices

Quit interesting to find 72 in a mesh with no more than 201 vertices overall! Maybe Blender's "remove when"-rule is very strict.
These are the two I found; Another one was found by AC3D's "automatic clean-up" ("snap together by distance") , so no clue which one that was...

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby cptRon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks for the clarification. I'm just glad I found some sort of solution, though still don't understand completely why.
cptRon

Postby wlbragg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Not much to offer here but I have ran into this type of thing while working on several of the aircraft I maintain. An objects surface gets corrupted in Blender for unknown reasons (probably something I did inadvertently), it is a real bear to find. Usually I replace the offending object, re-texture it and move on without fully understanding the cause. Usually my only clue is a crash upon viewing the offending object.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby cptRon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

In my case I'm leaning towards either FG version or OS or a combination of both as the cause. I don't think the GPU will cause a std::vector error, though my knowledge of GPUs is not deep.
cptRon

Previous

Return to Flying