Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

dual monitor setup for window x

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

dual monitor setup for window x

Postby jameslee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:42 am

Hello all, I am just getting started with this new hobby. So far, I am having such a fun learning about this flight simulation. For now, I am desperately trying to figure out how to use two monitors with a single computer setup. So far, I managed to show a same view on each of my two monitors by copying xml files on flightgear web site.

<camera>
<host-name type="string"></host-name>
<display>0</display>
<screen>0</screen>
<shear-x>.2</shear-x>
<shear-y>.1</shear-y>
<width>1000</width>
<height>780</height>
<fullscreen type="bool">false</fullscreen>
</camera>

I have the file snuck up right below where it says <rendering> in defaults.hml file.
I know I am not suppose to edit the defaults file. I will have to fix that later but I am dying to figure out how to have two separate views rather than the same single view on each monitor.

I am sure some body asked the same question before but this is where I am stuck currently.

flightgear 2018.3.1
window x, intel i7-6700k cpu 4.00ghz, 32 GB, GEForce gtx 1070 8G
jameslee

Version: 2018.3.1

Re: dual monitor setup for window x

Postby jameslee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 am

I misunderstood what I was reading. With the setup, I cannot achieve more than single view. I can only gain wider views with more monitors.
I am learning.
jameslee

Version: 2018.3.1

Re: dual monitor setup for window x

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:23 pm

yes, wider and taller... so if you were flying a vehicle with a glass roof, you could look at the monitors over your head and see outside above you just like in real life...

but there is also a way to place certain things on different monitors... i don't know anything about it but i know i've seen pics of like 6 monitors, 3x2, and a 7th monitor/device with (i think) the 2D control panel and another monitor/device with like an engineer's console in it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Interfacing