Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Launcher from next with fgaddon trunk

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Launcher from next with fgaddon trunk

Postby danielHL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi,

is it still possible to use fgaddon trunk as a launcher catalog when compiling next from source? The default option only offers a libiblio mirror where trunk is out of date... This seems to be a side effect of the new fgaddon branching...

Cheers,
Daniel
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Re: Launcher from next with fgaddon trunk

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:30 pm

i'm not sure i understand, daniel...

i build from next all the time...
i have all of fgaddon downloaded and managed in a local repository...
my FG knows where that local repository is so it shows all of the craft in the repo...
i occasionally test out the hanger pointed to in the launcher but not very often since i already have the craft...

if you have FGAddon downloaded already, you can point FG at that...

OR is your complaint that the ibiblio link is out of date and needs the new script run again to generate the new indexes?

FGAddon is getting branches, now, IIUC... that way "next" is the latest and then there's a branch for the FG versions so they will have their craft and not have problems with newer craft that may not work in the older FG versions... this branching has just started and there may be teething pains as the process is refined...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:41 pm

@wkitty42 I think OP is referring to a catalog file you can point to in the launcher that contains a list of aircraft available through that catalog. I don't know much about were that file originated.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby danielHL » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Before the branching of FGAddon started, I always used the launcher with the default hangar with my build from next. This always gave me access to the aircraft in their most recent development state and notifications about any updates. Now my default hangar in the launcher is basically a fixed point in time and I never get any updates - even though the URL of the hangar points to something that contains "trunk". But this trunk on the mirror is never updated?

I fully support the branching in FGAddon and it makes perfect sense to use the default hangar release branches when using a fgfs stable release. My question is if this is intentional and the option for developers is to always use svn instead of the launcher catalog to get development snapshots. Or was this use case overlooked when we started branching? Or is just the update script not running and the mirror is out of sync with sf.net?

I would like to continue using the launcher for my day to day flying. When developing aircraft I already have several other locations set up and pulling their git repos. But when flying just for fun I like to discover aircraft and updates in the launcher. Using svn for that is feeling really clumsy for my taste. And on top of that I don't want to check out the entire hangar and the whole history...

Cheers,
Daniel
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Postby Picun_1812 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:35 pm

since I installed version 2018.3.1 and managed the hangar by default of the launcher (from versions 2018.x). no aircraft has ever been updated ... is it because it does not happen or as DanielHL mentions, something is not happening correctly?
Picun_1812

Postby AndersG » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:44 am

Picun_1812 wrote in Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:35 pm:since I installed version 2018.3.1 and managed the hangar by default of the launcher (from versions 2018.x). no aircraft has ever been updated ... is it because it does not happen or as DanielHL mentions, something is not happening correctly?

That may well be the intended behaviour since you are "stuck" with the same binary (2018.3.1) and new aircraft development may well use new features that has been added since the branch of the release binary you are using.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:47 pm

We decided that starting with 2018.3 we'd use stable aircraft; as otherwise aircraft can break as support for new features are added to the model.

If you prefer to use the leading edge development just remove the default hangar (which is the stable one) and add this http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/f ... atalog.xml
Richard

Version: Git

Postby danielHL » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pm

I already use this hangar with the exact same URL. The directory listing of trunk on ibiblio says

Code: Select all
Aircraft-trunk/   2018-Dec-14 10:43:55   -     Directory

So no changes since middle of December although the fgaddon history shows commits all through December and January.
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:36 pm

this sounds like the ibinlio truck simply hasn't been updated... i'd ping curt about this as i think he is the one that manages that ibiblio craft storage location...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation