Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Opinion of a simple user

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Opinion of a simple user

Postby Picun_1812 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi all. And excuse my translator's english haha :oops:

:arrow: For about 3 years I discovered Flightgear and fell in love. I have learned a lot from a passion I had as a child and I am happy that so many people build selflessly and a lot of work and effort something that is free and for everyone. Thanks for that.

I do not know how to program and there are a lot of things that are said in the forum that are unintelligible to me. I just fly and I enjoy learning what you do.

From my point of view, from someone who only enjoys the simulator, it took me really 3 years to understand how Flightgear is built, where to find airplanes and liveries. In 3 years I still discover new and more detailed aircraft than in FGAddons, outside of the launcher ... I think it's something that should eventually find a solution. Because without understanding much I see a fight between GitHub planes, FGAddons and many others that are years away to understand where everything is. It's too confusing for basic users like me.

I definitely believe that Flightgear is the best simulator that exists, because in 3 years of effort to understand it, I still like it more than any other.

Thank :mrgreen:
Picun_1812

Re: Opinion of a simple user

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:05 pm

I think it's something that should eventually find a solution.

The simplest (and originally planned) solution would be if everyone would eventually contribute to FGAddon.

For various reasons, people prefer to do their own thing though, so there can't be a simple solution unfortunately.
Thorsten

Postby yanes » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:15 pm

I personally prefer to see only these said "detailed" aircrafts in fgaddon,thus the launcher , I wonder how some of them are there .
The only reason to not to put the su-27sk there is a matter of quality , I just feel it's not yet ready to be in fgaddon
Regards
Yanes Bachir
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm

You have the option in the launcher to screen for quality on at least a few different parameters.

The way the launcher works allows for us to do something more like what you want, that would be to have multiple catalogs based on quality level. You could then choose to load only the catalog that matched the detail level you want. That has not been done though.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby PINTO » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:41 pm

yanes wrote in Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:15 pm:The only reason to not to put the su-27sk there is a matter of quality , I just feel it's not yet ready to be in fgaddon

I am of the same mind with my MiG-21
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Torsten » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:58 am

yanes wrote in Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:15 pm:The only reason to not to put the su-27sk there is a matter of quality , I just feel it's not yet ready to be in fgaddon

This is sad to hear. FGAddon is a repository prepared for the development of aircraft and other addons.
It's entry barrier is quite low, the biggest hurdle probably is to make sure all files meet our license requirements.
If you have a somewhat clean structure in your project and don't check in a pile of temporary work files, screen shots or other left-overs, please use FGAddon and show your work to the world.
I am sure it is worth it!

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Dogers » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am

Moreover, I think it gives the opportunity for unfinished aircraft to get contributions by more and more users than before. Because, maybe not everyone knows that aircraft outside FGAddons that may be worth to look for, simply exist. And it also gives you more feedback on your aircraft, and can only makes it better. Personally, I find it frustrating when I have to look out for each repository apart to see if there is an update or not. The advantage of FGAddons is that it makes aircraft easier to find. So in my opinion, there is no reason to not post aircraft on FGAddons repository, apart from the fact there are some licenses issue.
Scenery contributions :

LFVM - LFVP - FMEE - FMCZ
Dogers

Callsign: F-DGRS, Dogers
Version: 2020.3.8

Return to The FlightGear project