Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Thrustmaster pedals

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Thrustmaster pedals

Postby JohnLynn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 am

Hello, new user and new forum member.
I have installed FG on windows with Thrustmaster pedals, joystick and throttle. All working well after using the T-Rudder.xml file kindly posted on this forum.
However could someone please explain why if I use the joystick configuration from within FG (file joystick etc) I can see ailerons elevator etc in the list but only see the left brake (no right brake) in the options for the different axis. I have searched in vain for a file that contains the different options that an axis or a button could be assigned to.
I hope this makes sense, as I said all working OK but I am keen to find out a bit more about joystick configs.
JohnLynn

Re: Thrustmaster pedals

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 pm

JohnLynn wrote in Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 am:However could someone please explain why if I use the joystick configuration from within FG (file joystick etc) I can see ailerons elevator etc in the list but only see the left brake (no right brake) in the options for the different axis.

this is a bug in the dialog coding... it has been fixed in the last week or three... the fix will be available with the next release of FGFS...

if you want/need to patch your current installation, i'm pretty sure we can find the details that you can use to edit the necessary file...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby JohnLynn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 am

This is brilliant news, thank you for the prompt reply.
Yes I would like to know what the problem is and how to fix it rather than wait for a new release. I am sure that I would learn from doing it myself.
JohnLynn

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 am

can you read and understand diff/patch files??

Code: Select all
diff --git a/Nasal/joystick.nas b/Nasal/joystick.nas
index 4402c0ca..7346bf99 100644
--- a/Nasal/joystick.nas
+++ b/Nasal/joystick.nas
@@ -301,7 +301,6 @@ var axisBindings = [
   PropertyScaleAxis.new("Brake Right", "/controls/gear/brake-right", 0.5, 1.0),
   PropertyScaleAxis.new("Flaps", "/controls/flight/flaps", 0.5, 1.0),
   PropertyScaleAxis.new("Wings", "/controls/flight/wings", 0.5, 1.0),
-  PropertyScaleAxis.new("Brake Right", "/controls/gear/brake-right", 0.5, 1.0),
   NasalLowHighAxis.new("Aileron Trim inc.",  "controls.aileronTrim(-1);", "controls.aileronTrim(1);", "/controls/flight/aileron-trim-delta", 1),
   NasalLowHighAxis.new("Elevator Trim inc.", "controls.elevatorTrim(-1);", "controls.elevatorTrim(1);", "/controls/flight/elevator-trim-delta", 1),
   NasalLowHighAxis.new("Rudder Trim inc.",   "controls.rudderTrim(-1);", "controls.rudderTrim(1);", "/controls/flight/rudder-trim-delta", 1),
diff --git a/gui/dialogs/button-axis-config.xml b/gui/dialogs/button-axis-config.xml
index a57507d7..9db4fe68 100644
--- a/gui/dialogs/button-axis-config.xml
+++ b/gui/dialogs/button-axis-config.xml
@@ -147,7 +147,7 @@ var assignAxis = func(cmd) {
       </binding>
     </button>
     <button>
-      <row>5</row>
+      <row>7</row>
       <col>0</col>
       <halign>fill</halign>
       <legend>Wings</legend>
\ No newline at end of file

there's two files changed above... both are in your FG data directory... the first one is 'Nasal/joystick.nas' and the second one is 'gui/dialogs/button-axis-config.xml'... '-' means the line was removed... '+' means the line was added... in the case of the second one, the end result is simply changing the '5' to a '7' on line 150... this is the bug causing the missing right brake entry...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby JohnLynn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 am

Yes I have a little experience from writing small programs for an Arduino which I used with stepper motors for a welding turntable.
However when I am spoon fed as you have explained it all to me then it became dead easy.
It is all working fine now so thank you so much for helping. I would never have got there without help as I had no idea which files were used.
JohnLynn

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm

aw geez, i didn't mean to use such a large spoon :lol:

FWIW: i'm still learning where everything is and i've only been doing this since Feb 2015... the project is 20 years old and i don't know if i'll have it all down in another 20 years ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Hardware