Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

EDDF-Triangle

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: EDDF-Triangle

Postby V12 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:12 pm

You don't need account. I have not it too.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby AAL545 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:04 pm

The only way I can do it is using Simbrief first and then open route on Skyvector and enter the missing fixes.

My mistake I clicked on the wrong button and it took me to the login screen.
Okay Skyvector work's thankyou but one more thing,
I'm not sure if this is possible from a user stand point without doing some hacking but is it possible to add vor's so they show up on your map and aircraft radio settings.
There are missing vor's at EDDF for example, VFM, WUR, DKB, if they were in the list then a pilot could fly to or from using radial.
I am able to enter these as a fix using Skyvector but not as a VOR. That has to be available from the aircraft radio settings.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

You can add a custom navdata file in scenery (same directory as objects, terrain, etc). I will look up and show you the format.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

It will be long long long list. FG's navigation database is very old. I'm curious, when will be updated. And this is reason, why is so difficult fly with FG on VATSIM. When ATC on EDDF issue advice Direct to DKB, pilot with old database is lost. He needs ask for the vector. Same with ATC's advice Follow SID xxx. FG in default install has not airports SIDs, STARs or procedures.
But there is way how to avoid that problem - user can buy Navigraph's database fox X-Planes and Level-D (procedures), that files are compatible with FG. Or download and recompile freeware (?) nav database for P3D/FSX downloadable from http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html. They have AIRAC1901 cycle...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 pm

V12 wrote in Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm:It will be long long long list. FG's navigation database is very old. I'm curious, when will be updated.

probably when the world scenery is rebuilt... IIUC, these *.dat.gz files are interrelated with the scenery build system so the objects can be placed properly (eg: I/M/O marker transmitters, ILS transmitters, etc)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 pm

If you have e.g. a Navigraph subscription, you can easily upgrade your personal nav database by downloading the X-plane 11 data through the Navigraph FMS Data Manager, compressing the earth_fix.dat and the earth_nav.dat to fix.dat.gz and nav.dat.gz respectively (using e.g. 7zip) and placing them in a NavData folder in one of your scenery folders (e.g. at my pc: F:\FlightGear\Scenery\NavData is a custom scenery folder where the navaids data resides). When you add the Scenery directory in the Add-On folders, FlightGear will search for the respective files there first before falling back to the default. I wouldn't recommend updating the awy.dat.gz via this method because I got some errors when I tried it. When you update, the launcher will automatically reinitialise the navdata the first time you start it (takes maybe a minute), and will than start as usual. Keep a backup of your default navdata though, in the case some bug in the new data prevents FlightGear from loading.

I can't share these files because the Navigraph license forbids that, and finding recent data that can be distributed under the GNU GPL v2+ license is the reason we have such outdated navaids and fixes. The navaids and fixes are in no way tied to the scenery generation, you can safely update them. I don't think there'll be a 3D model for a moved or new navaid (never checked), but the functionality is more important anyway. Enjoy!

(I am in no way affiliated to Navigraph other than being a happy customer for little more than 2 years now, but I do think that there product is really good value. If an anual subscription is too expensive, you can always choose to buy a single monthly subscription once a year so that you never run very much behind. An annual subscription for just the FMS data (which you need for the above functionality) costs € 31.34 at the moment (for ± 12-13 updates, depending on when you subscribe). A single monthly subscription (one update) costs €10.04 (including one month subscription to Navigraph Charts) and the bundle for both (which I have) for One Year costs € 90.63 (thats $ 100 if I recall that correctly). When you subscribe, you can also download the LevelD 767 data through the FMS data manager. You can convert the ICAO.xml files to the ICAO.procedures.xml files FlightGear needs for the SID/STAR functionality to work in the Route Manager. There are some small scripts to do this automatically.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 pm

The last changes to X-Plane 10's navdata is available from http://gateway.x-plane.com/navaids/LatestNavFix.zip.

I believe the reason it is not in FGDATA is because it could conflict with the scenery (moved ILS, etc).

X-Plane 11 seems to have a new navdata format which is a pity as we probably can't use it yet.
legoboyvdlp

Postby AAL545 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 am

This is more work and money then I thought, but most importantly I'm not sure if I want to do this if it conflicts with FG nav data.
I have to think about this, in the mean time thank you guys for your help.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby AAL545 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 am

When trying to create a flight plan on "http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net/" it looks in .fgfs/Export and finds a route EDDF to ULLI.gpx,
when I look in that folder it's empty.
What am I doing wrong?

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 am

if that filename has spaces in it as it appears to in your post, i would question the command line you're using... that is, assuming you are using the command line at all... if you are using the command line, you have to put double quotes around filenames and/or paths that contain spaces...

eg: ls -la ~/.fgfs/Export/"EDDF to ULLI.gpx"

my personal ""fix"" is to always use '_', '-' or possibly '.' instead of spaces in files' names...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:57 am

If you enclose anything with spaces with " it usually works -- the whole thing, not just the EDDF to ULLI.gpx part.
legoboyvdlp

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm

before i posted, i specifically tested the above and it failed with the whole path enclosed in double quotes... i started to write it like that but thought better to check... i suspect it is because i used the "~" to represent "$HOME"...

Code: Select all
2019 Jan 17  07:29:03 -0500
myuser@mymachine:~$ touch "~/.fgfs/Export/EDDF to ULLI.gpx"
touch: cannot touch ‘~/.fgfs/Export/EDDF to ULLI.gpx’: No such file or directory

2019 Jan 17  07:29:44 -0500
myuser@mymachine:~$ touch ~/.fgfs/Export/"EDDF to ULLI.gpx"

2019 Jan 17  07:29:51 -0500
myuser@mymachine:~$ ls -la "~/.fgfs/Export/EDDF to ULLI.gpx"
ls: cannot access ~/.fgfs/Export/EDDF to ULLI.gpx: No such file or directory

2019 Jan 17  07:30:25 -0500
myuser@mymachine:~$ ls -la ~/.fgfs/Export/"EDDF to ULLI.gpx"
-rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 0 Jan 17 07:29 /home/myuser/.fgfs/Export/EDDF to ULLI.gpx
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby WoodSTokk » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:18 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm:before i posted, i specifically tested the above and it failed with the whole path enclosed in double quotes... i started to write it like that but thought better to check... i suspect it is because i used the "~" to represent "$HOME"...

Correct. The double quotes take the special meaning of special characters away and '~' is a special character.
If you want mask only one special character, then you can use '\' insteed.
Code: Select all
myuser@mymachine:~$ touch ~/.fgfs/Export/EDDF\ to\ ULLI.gpx
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby AAL545 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:48 pm

if that filename has spaces in it as it appears to in your post, i would question the command line you're using... that is, assuming you are using the command line at all... if you are using the command line, you have to put double quotes around filenames and/or paths that contain spaces...

No I'm not using command line options regarding this!
But I thing you guys are missing the point here, there is no such route in my home folder called EDDF to ULLI.gpx so let me explain again what I'm trying to do.
I go to http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net/ and click on New Flight Plan and then in the Additional Information section when I click on route this is what I see, /home/user/.fgfs/Export/EDDF to ULLI.gpx
so again, when I look in /home/user/.fgfs/Export there is no such route, where is it finding it if I can't see it.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 pm

ok... maybe we did miss the point... we thought, based on your description, that you were trying to find the file locally... that it is/was automatically filled in in a webform doesn't/didn't even come into play... servers don't have that level of access into your machine... that would be a monstrous security nightmare...

so now i've gone and done as you describe and i think some parts are still missing... i had to actually fill in the waypoints in the route box... nothing is filled in there automatically AFAIK... maybe you pasted that path into that box at some point in the past and your browser is auto-filling it in again for you?? the only fields that are filled in automatically are the date, departure time, and arrival time... the times are set to the current UTC time... you have to manually fill out everything else...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events