Board index FlightGear Support Flying

The runway direction is not aligned with the ils course

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

The runway direction is not aligned with the ils course

Postby quique086 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new to flighgear. I'm using FG to practice IFR procedures, im a real pilot and i found it very realistic compared to other simulators. After some minutes of use i found that all of the runways visuals are not aligned with the aproach course. For instance im trying to do an ILS aproach to runway 23 at SCSN. The final aproarch course is 233, when I reach the DH, the runway is not where it is supoused to be, it's not aligned. I managed to browse the internal properties, and all look fine to me (heading, mag-var, course, cdi, etc). I think that maybe the scenery has some kind of offset, i don't know.

I wanted to ask if someone has some insight on this issue and help me solve it. I would be glad to contribute to the project.

Here is a screenshot to make myself more clear, im flying a 233 ils course in SCSN, im on course and heading of 233 aproximatly. If you look the runway you can see that is not aligned with the aproach. I fly this aproach in real life and i can asure that the runway is aligned with the 233 final course, haha.

Thanks, Enrique

PD: English is not my primary language, sorry.
quique086

Re: The runway direction is not aligned with the ils course

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:21 am

yes, the scenery may be offset in some cases... the only fix is to update the scenery but that's a fraught with peril task that is being worked on... slowly... we're hopeful that one day, updated scenery will be available much faster than it currently is... there's still a lot of work to be done, though... it is not a problem with your installation...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 am

At the moment it is being worked on, so it is a lot closer now than a few years ago :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby RobAndrew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:51 pm

If I may help...

I had this issue a while ago. And asked about it here. I then found out that when using the map, if zoomed in enough to the Destined airstrip, with the "data" box selected, it will give you a more precise heading of the Runway. For example, looking at the airport and runway from a small distance, but without data turned on, you may only see "24/60" whereas with "data" on, you may see "243/063"

Hope this helps
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby tdammers » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:51 pm:If I may help...

I had this issue a while ago. And asked about it here. I then found out that when using the map, if zoomed in enough to the Destined airstrip, with the "data" box selected, it will give you a more precise heading of the Runway. For example, looking at the airport and runway from a small distance, but without data turned on, you may only see "24/60" whereas with "data" on, you may see "243/063"

Hope this helps

The runway in the screenshot is clearly more than 3 degrees off though, and besides, we're talking about ILS approaches here - real-life ILS beams are always aligned near-perfectly with the runway (unless explicitly noted in the charts and procedures), and should definitely be between +/- degree of the runway heading.

This is clearly a scenery bug with that particular airport; all of the airports I've been to so far (that have ILS) are perfectly fine.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby RobAndrew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Ah, okay. Then ignore my comment! :lol:
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Return to Flying