Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Looking at yoke/rudder hardware for use with FlightGear

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Looking at yoke/rudder hardware for use with FlightGear

Postby Aidonithith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:40 am

I'm looking at maybe a Saitek Pro Flight set. Do I need to do any special programming for FlightGear to recognize the hardware? Open source is sometimes a bit hard to set up for me.....

Thanks!
Aidonithith

Re: Looking at yoke/rudder hardware for use with FlightGear

Postby Knüppelrührer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am

From my experience under windows 8.1:

Saitek rudder pedals: Zero problems. Plug in and play. FGFS does the job.

Also for the Thrustmaser Flight Stick-X it was also no problem. For some changes in the button configuration help was needed by forum members and was done in a very friendly way.

For Saitek switch panel I will have to switch to Linux to make it work (apparently...), but this I wanted to do anyway.
Knüppelrührer

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 am

From my experience under windows 7 x64 with FG 2018.3.1 and saitek drivers from late 2018:
Saitek rudder pedals: Zero problems. Plug in and play. But need to preconfigure some buttons on joystick menu.
Saitek yoke and quadrant: Zero problems. Plug in and play. But need to preconfigure some buttons on joystick menu. Parking brakes (c172) button assigment dont work, only normal brakes.
Saitek Switch panel and radio: Not tested yet but tried only to install switch panel unsuccessfully. Need to investigate
Other instruments: Not tested
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby stuart » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 pm

I have the Saitek Cessna set, which is pretty much identical to the Proflight set (yoke, pedals, quadrant, trim wheel). All works fine. I wrote a review of them on the wiki here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Hardware_Review:_Saitek_Pro_Flight_Cessna_controls

I've also got the CH products pedals, quadrant and Fighter Stick. Again, all work fine out of the box.

Since I wrote the review, my setup location has changed, and I have a little less room than before. I now tend to use my CH Products equipment rather than the Saitek.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Robertfm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:11 pm

I read your review of the Saitek gear and most notably the trim wheel. I know that was in 2012 and you quoted $50. Has it seriously shot up in price in that time. In the UK you talking £350. Are there sites in the US where it is cheaper.

I have tried using the mixture (Quadrant) stick to control trim and whilst it works I can't get it to stabilise.
Robertfm

Postby Isaak » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:15 am

I use the rocker switches on the yoke for pitch and rudder trim. Not so realistic in a piston engine aircraft, but it does the job and works the same in many airliners.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Robertfm » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 am

I set up the one of the switches on the Quadrant but not sure they are doing anything. I will try a yoke switch. Thanks. I really don't understand why the trim wheel is so expensive compared to other items that appear more complicated like Radio etc
Robertfm

Postby V12 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 am

There are many very negative reviews over the internet. In the computer store I tested 2 sets saitek-yoke-system - yoke with quadrant and found same problem on both sets - unavoidable significant deadzone on pitch axix. I installed all necessary drivers in Win 7, set deadzone in that drivers to zero, but was still present. Vendor said that it is feature, not bug. I did not bought this hardware...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Robertfm » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:03 am

I resolved the dead zone issue after finding a fix on the net. It involves routing the two pots through a separate inter face http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=204 they supply cables that simply plug in with own power supply as well as the joystick interface. I guess Arduino would work also.
Robertfm

Return to Hardware