Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Attack Vector add-ons

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Attack Vector add-ons

Postby Ndangin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Good day all,

I am very new to FlightGear and require some assistance if possible.
I would like to use FlightGear for a comparative analysis of Drone Vulnerabilities and for that I would need to be able to load drones into the simulator as well as various cybersecurity attacks e.g DDoS, GPS Spoofing and Jamming on the drones. Is there any way I can do this?

I have installed the simulator on both Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 10 so either option would be very helpful. Any and all help would be immensely appreciated.
Installed flightGear 2018.3.1
Thank you
Ndangin

Re: Attack Vector add-ons

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi & welcome,

yeah, that would definitely be possible - the question is what exactly you have in mind, i.e. in terms of soft/hard requirements, programming languages/libraries involved etc.

For instance, you mention "add-ons" in your title, which kinda implies using FG's native add-on mechanism (via Nasal scripting). While that is definitely do-able, if you have certain scaling requirements, you will find that a fgms/multiplayer based implementation should be superior. However, the Nasal based option is fairly lightweight and there isn't much of a barrier to entry - especially not for people with a programming/scripting background.

So there are basically two main ways to "inject traffic" into the fgfs world: 1) using Nasal scripting to create scripted AI objects and 2) using custom multiplayer packets to create arbitrary traffic.

How to proceed from here will definitely depend in your short-term goals.

You can find many relevant pointers in the following topics that covered "fgfs traffic injection" a while ago:

web GIS talking to FG to display traffic in (near) real time
Displaying additional aircraft on certain position

Obviously, this will only cover the very first requirement, i.e. adding/updating models at runtime - modeling different attacks will then be a different matter (think making updates less frequent, more random, more erratic, less reliable etc) - equally, GPS spoofing could be simply modeled by using a randomized offset for the corresponding APIs

Approaching thing that way would mean that you could prototype simple attacks using roughly 50 lines of Nasal code per attack vector, and then take it from there to model more complex behavior.

Obviously, if you are doing all this out of fgfs, you can ignore this part and simply do the traffic injection part.
Even though it would definitely be interesting to have some of this contributed back into fgfs, especially because we have a growing community of RC/UAV pilots and DIY-hardware enthusiasts.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Installation