Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Cant get Flightgear to run

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Cant get Flightgear to run

Postby Fretless2019 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi, I downloaded Flight Gear 2018.3.1 yesterday and when I tried to run it, I was redirected to Google store to download some APP to run it. I looked up this problem and found a video which suggests turning off the Game Bar under the Gaming settings, which I tried, but now when I click the Flight Gear icon I get a message 'Error Report Flight Gear has stopped working'. Im not sure what my next step is, thanks.

Windows 10 pro Intel Core Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz 3.17Ghz

5.00 GB RAM

64-bit

Graphics: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1
Fretless2019

Re: Cant get Flightgear to run

Postby Isaak » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:12 pm

That is one strange issue. Did you download FlightGear here? You should never download any other app to be able to run FG on a Windows PC. I didn't hear of the game bar yet, but I see it has something to do with Xbox? Can you provide a bit more info on the app you needed to download and the exact error you were seeing?

Nonetheless, your GPU might give issues, FlightGear requires a dedicated GPU's like Nvidia or AMD. The Intel graphics cards give issues frequently. I don't think this has anything to do with your issue, but I thought it 's worth mentioning it. There's an outdated wiki page on supported video cards that might give you some more information.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

start here: Flightgear 2018.2.2 Won't Start
the trouble was finally traced specifically to the Quadro card being used which is the same as you say your system uses...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Fretless2019 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:28 pm

BEL ISAAK wrote in Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:12 pm:That is one strange issue. Did you download FlightGear here? You should never download any other app to be able to run FG on a Windows PC. I didn't hear of the game bar yet, but I see it has something to do with Xbox? Can you provide a bit more info on the app you needed to download and the exact error you were seeing?

Nonetheless, your GPU might give issues, FlightGear requires a dedicated GPU's like Nvidia or AMD. The Intel graphics cards give issues frequently. I don't think this has anything to do with your issue, but I thought it 's worth mentioning it. There's an outdated wiki page on supported video cards that might give you some more information.

Hi again, it appears to be saying that I need a thing called 'ms-gaming overlay' and when I am directed to Google store, the only thing that is listed is Game-Bar. It seems to be allowing me to go a step further this time, only problem is now it is looking for my Microsoft login and password, which I dont have because its in my missus's name, so I'll have to wait until she gets home.... you cant win! :-)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<CrashRpt version="1403">
<CrashGUID>96ad33b1-c1be-46c9-a114-44d02e88d7ad</CrashGUID>
<AppName>FlightGear</AppName>
<AppVersion>2018.3.1</AppVersion>
<ImageName>C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2018.3.1\bin\fgfs.exe</ImageName>
<OperatingSystem>Windows 10 Pro Build 17134</OperatingSystem>
<OSIs64Bit>1</OSIs64Bit>
<GeoLocation>en-ie</GeoLocation>
<SystemTimeUTC>2019-01-11T14:15:57Z</SystemTimeUTC>
<ExceptionType>0</ExceptionType>
<ExceptionCode>0</ExceptionCode>
<GUIResourceCount>41</GUIResourceCount>
<OpenHandleCount>336</OpenHandleCount>
<MemoryUsageKbytes>107272</MemoryUsageKbytes>
<CustomProps>
<Prop name="build-type" value="Release" />
<Prop name="git-revision" value="0b50626f7963c686d8a231899deca66a023c7e10" />
<Prop name="hudson-build-id" value="246" />
<Prop name="hudson-build-number" value="246" />
</CustomProps>
<FileList>
<FileItem name="crashdump.dmp" description="Crash Minidump" />
<FileItem name="crashrpt.xml" description="Crash Description XML" />
<FileItem name="fgfs.log" description="FlightGear Log File" />
</FileList>
</CrashRpt>
Fretless2019

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Fretless2019 wrote in Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:28 pm:Hi again, it appears to be saying that I need a thing called 'ms-gaming overlay' and when I am directed to Google store

flightgear has nothing like that at all! no way, nada, nothing...

where did you download that FG from?

see the links at the top of this page above the logo picture? click the "Website" one and scroll down to the download section... download FG from there and install it... get rid of that other one first if it did not come from there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Flight gear definitely doesn't need that. I would advise not to input any credentials into it and to delete that program.

Make sure that you are downloading Flight Gear from the link at flightgear.org
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:21 am

Anyway, more about that "Game Bar" thingy, it's a fun feature included with every Windows 10 installation and could activate when starting XP.

To the OP: You can safely ignore and close it. Unless ypu downloaded it from somewhere that is, in which case remove it immediately and run a system-wide virus scan.
And BTW, the Play store should never appear during the whole workflow.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Return to Windows