Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Upgrading Perugia LIRZ Airport

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Upgrading Perugia LIRZ Airport

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Those textures look quite plausible there - quite a good argument for the use of textures / shaders instead of photoscenery.

Nice work!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Wow! you seem to be unstoppable now with the Italian airports! Very good job! :-)
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi D-ECHO,
I saw you also added LIRU (Roma Urbe). Very good!
I also noticed in e012n42 folder (belonging to Terrain folder) you added a file named xxxx.btg.gz. What airport is defined in this file?
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 am

LIRZ Work in Progress. This is how LIRZ is coming so far. I am quite happy but I guess I will add more objects. I am thinking about cars in the parking lot in front of the entrance and some service vehicles / facilities inside the airport. The objects wrongly placed outside the airport area to the north (in what actually is cropland) have been removed.

LIRZ view from top

The Fire Station

Departure area as seen from the fire station

Right side of the departure area and flight academy buildings

Left side of the departure area and service area

Service area

North apron for small, private and charter aircrafts
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:58 am

Beautifully done @FlyingGriffin :)
I think xxxx.btg.gz actually was an error where I generated some airfield (probably XLI002) without setting the ICAO-code properly
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am

Thank you @D-ECHO I am glad to know you liked my "little effort" (compared to yours) in placing some objects in LIRZ.
As for LIRZ, taxiway lines seem not to be centered to runway center line. I guess it is because of the airport placement, the same causing the north service road to hover on the sloping edge of the airport area. You can see it in the picture below. (yes, we still have some fog today in Perugia :-) )

As for my plans, I think I will continue adding objects and facilities to LIRZ and, after that, I will do the same for LIAF and the three airfields.
I should say I had to use the model lib provided by d-laser's scripts as dsf2stg.py refers to them, so they need to be copied in your custom scenery folder in order to have the STGs properly rendered.
I will be more than happy to contribute my STG files to your repository and I guess we also need to redistribute d-laser's model lib as well. I do not known whether this scenery will ever be included in TerraSync, however it is very promising and it would be great to see it in TerraSync as well.

One more thing: the proper name of LIRZ airport is "Perugia San Francesco d'Assisi – Umbria International Airport" and I do not know whether the name can be corrected as in FlightGear is shown as "Perugia S.francesco" (yes, with a lower "f" letter). The airport is named after Saint Francis of Assisi as it is not so far from Assisi and actually facing Assisi's hillside.
As for LIAF, the proper name is Foligno "Giorgio Franceschi". Giorgio Franceschi was a lieutenant pilot of the Italian Air Force.

By the way: the word is spreading! :-) Last night while I was working on the object placement (and having the multiplayer mode on, as I always have) three FlightGear users came to visit and test this scenery. I had a lovely chat with them all and they all loved the new layout of LIRZ. Of course they could see just a "deserted airport" and cannot wait to see the scenery populated with objects and building. They however downloaded the scenery and wanted to personally test the new layout, taxiways and runway. Good job D-ECHO! :-)
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:05 pm

FlyingGriffin wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am:Thank you @D-ECHO I am glad to know you liked my "little effort" (compared to yours) in placing some objects in LIRZ.
As for LIRZ, taxiway lines seem not to be centered to runway center line. I guess it is because of the airport placement, the same causing the north service road to hover on the sloping edge of the airport area. You can see it in the picture below. (yes, we still have some fog today in Perugia :-) )

Actually the lines should be a bit displaced as you can see here https://youtu.be/3VF21W6cIaI?t=66, but the taxiway edge lines should start on the runway edge, so that will be corrected.

FlyingGriffin wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am:As for my plans, I think I will continue adding objects and facilities to LIRZ and, after that, I will do the same for LIAF and the three airfields.
I should say I had to use the model lib provided by d-laser's scripts as dsf2stg.py refers to them, so they need to be copied in your custom scenery folder in order to have the STGs properly rendered.
I will be more than happy to contribute my STG files to your repository and I guess we also need to redistribute d-laser's model lib as well. I do not known whether this scenery will ever be included in TerraSync, however it is very promising and it would be great to see it in TerraSync as well.

That's fine for me :)

FlyingGriffin wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am:One more thing: the proper name of LIRZ airport is "Perugia San Francesco d'Assisi – Umbria International Airport" and I do not know whether the name can be corrected as in FlightGear is shown as "Perugia S.francesco" (yes, with a lower "f" letter). The airport is named after Saint Francis of Assisi as it is not so far from Assisi and actually facing Assisi's hillside.
As for LIAF, the proper name is Foligno "Giorgio Franceschi". Giorgio Franceschi was a lieutenant pilot of the Italian Air Force.

I'll change it :)
D-ECHO

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:12 pm

D-ECHO wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:05 pm:Actually the lines should be a bit displaced as you can see here https://youtu.be/3VF21W6cIaI?t=66, but the taxiway edge lines should start on the runway edge, so that will be corrected.

You are right. The aerial view from google earth confirms the small displacement of taxiway lines in regard to runway center line. So far, so good! :-)

Any chance to add Taxiway signs on the pavement?
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 pm

You mean the taxiway signs painted on the pavement? I don't think that's easily possible with our current technology.
D-ECHO

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Yes, I was meaning that. Taxiway signs at the side are however great! :-)
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:41 pm

It is possible to make them using a rectangular object with the taxiway sign painted on it in its texture. It is, however, quite tedious to place these signs one by one.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:45 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:41 pm:It is possible to make them using a rectangular object with the taxiway sign painted on it in its texture. It is, however, quite tedious to place these signs one by one.

I too was thinking about doing something like that and also thinking it was, like you said, tedious. I thought World Editor had an easy way to do that as X-Plane have Taxiway signs painted on the pavement of the airports as well as ramp numbers.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 pm

It can be done in WED but terragear ignores them AFAIK
D-ECHO

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:48 pm

D-ECHO wrote in Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 pm:It can be done in WED but terragear ignores them AFAIK

Got it. Thank you. Signs at the side of taxiways is however great and enough.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Fly-Flot » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Good teamwork, thanks D_ECHO, great work and thanks to FlyingGriffin for having carefully inserted the various objects.
Beautiful, we have a new airport :D
thanks again to both
Fly-Flot

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery