Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Hi! Merry Christmas! I need some help.

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Hi! Merry Christmas! I need some help.

Postby SL65AMG » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Well, first at all: Merry Crhistmas!
Second: I'm new here. Hello world!
And third: Im speak spanish, if i write something wrong or like this, im sorry for that.

This is my info:

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running? W 7 Ultimate 64 bits
- what FlightGear version do you use? Anything, all versions (i think) work with very low frame rate. Last i test was 2.10, 2.8 and under versions (obviously for hardware)
- what graphics card do you have? Intel R Q45/Q43 express chipset
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport? Not at all, it is a general problem
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from? i download from flightgear.com the .exe file
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)? i don´t know excatcly whats is this (the console is 100% functional)
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher). I was uninnstall FG, sorry

The problem: With my prevuis PC (AMD Athlon x2 , 2g RAM, XP sp3 and integrated graphic card) i was played 2.10 version at 25-30 fps constant (with out buildings and in 800*600 lol)... in theory i have now a more powerfull pc, an intel dual core cpu E7500 3ghz, 4GB RAM, and the Q45/Q43 integrated graphics. With the same verisons, 2.8 and 2.10 and same configuratiion graphics quality, y run FG around 2fps and have broken or corrupt textures. i was read in some forus, FG have a problem with intel graphics. I want to play FG, i love it. and also, is the only way to simulate, comparated with others simulators... There is a solution? I deleted buildings, IA traffic and put FG in minimus quality. Thank you!! and Merry Christmas!!
i dont test the 2018.3 :(

IF I BROKE ANY FORUM RULE IM SORRY FOR THAT! i use translator for some words!

Reggards from Montevideo, Uruguay, Southamerica.
SL65AMG

Re: Hi! Merry Christmas! I need some help.

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:21 am

Hi,
I am afraid Intel graphics will always struggle. However, many users report better performance with 2018.3.1 than earlier versions; did you try it yet?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby SL65AMG » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:55 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:21 am:Hi,
I am afraid Intel graphics will always struggle. However, many users report better performance with 2018.3.1 than earlier versions; did you try it yet?

I going to download 2018.3.1 now, later or tomorrow i come back here with results. Thank you!

Edit: I type incorrect year-version lol
SL65AMG

Postby V12 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Yes, 2018.3.1 is significant fps-faster than 2018.2.x. But not on Intel graphics, that hardware is designed only for bussiness graphic like Excel, PowerPoint, watch some marketing videos etc. OpenGL support is very poor. If You can, buy cheap NVidia 750 or better.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Modern Intel cards aren't so bad (HD3000 etc) but yes, Nividia cards are specifically designed for simulators / games. Unfortunately I think in South America, having lived there myself for nearly fifteen years, those cards are hard to find and quite expensive. I ran on an ancient Pentium / Intel HD at an average of fifteen frames per second with 3.4 which was a very slow, unoptimized version, but 2018.3 definitely is much faster, so the original poster might be able to get up to 20 frames per second or more :)

Anyway, for optimising performance:

Turn Atmospheric Light Scattering on - make sure Rembrandt is off. ALS is more efficient than default under most conditions, and even more than Rembrandt.

Lower visibility if necessary - use basic weather if necessary. You can maybe turn 3D clouds on if so?

Shaders: turn urban, overlay, and water off; if still slow, turn transition and landmass down.

Vegetation, random objects, buildings: turn off

Anti aliasing: 2x if possible; if not off.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Graphics