Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Cessna 182S Carb heat  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Cessna 182S Carb heat

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:28 pm:
Are there any numbers on how propeller ice can affect power?

Well, last I looked they are still working on this and it is by no means their final version. I believe their prop ice is not even modeled using the correct approach. they want drag on the prop, not rpm loss and they haven't totally figured out how to do it. They are totally aware of that issue and are working on it to find a solution.

I'm not sure what version your using and unless it is the dev version I don't think you even have the prop icing. As far as what you are experiencing I would venture to guess it is ice on the aircraft wing, which is modeled I believe? The solution is you don't fly in it, there is no fix. There is no deicing equipment (wing) on the 182s.
I'm not sure if they are doing the carb icing or not and if they are I would be surprised there was no carb heat. Unless it is handled differently on a c182s. Also the carb heat does cause a loss in RPM.

The 172p doesn't model the wing ice yet so that is why you can fly it in the no-fly conditions.

EDIT. after I saw @ legoboyvdlp last post...

@legoboyvdlp does the fgaddon version do the prop icing? Is there a carb heat on the c182s?

I'm not sure if there is a c182 on fgaddon at all, I use HHS81's repository. I don't think it has carb heat although I've never really checked yet. The icing is very recent so I think it wouldn't be in fgaddon yet.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Matuchkin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:03 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 pm:Yeah, they de-iced a 737 I was on last week out of Wichita. Only the outer half had a bit if "dew" ice on it. I was kind of surprised they did it for so little ice.

Once we get the wing icing done for the 172p you won't be able to cheat in it either!

So how do you discern a no-fly zone? I can obviously get live METAR data from the internet, but this data consists of - say - temperature, freezing altitude, etc readings, which aren't exactly useful for an aircraft that is primarily cooled by fast-moving air (around its airfoils). Do I look at humidity? After all, the increased risk of ice can be attributed partially to water content in the air.
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Anyone want to rescue me? :D

If its below zero, with a low difference between dew point and temperature, icing may occur.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:56 pm

@legoboyvdlp, that icing is really cool. I want to adapt that for the c172p. It would also be nice for a dirt accumulation system.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Matuchkin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:09 pm:If its below zero, with a low difference between dew point and temperature, icing may occur.

I'm wondering how accurate Flightgear's weather system is. I'm currently using www.windy.com for my data, does anyone know how closely FG data coincides with that?
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 pm

If your using METAR reporting then it is extremely accurate, assuming the reporting station is accurate which in my experience they usually are. I use that pretty much exclusively and many times I have discovered it was snowing from FG before I even looked outside.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Previous

Return to Flying