Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Boeing 777 multiple screen crash

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Boeing 777 multiple screen crash

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:07 pm

likely they saved fgrun from a previous installation... it'll still work but it doesn't have all the features and capabilities the new launcher has...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby SurferTim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:17 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 pm:If you are using FGRUN, what version of flightgear are you on?

I was on 2018-2-2, but now I'm using a beta version 2018-4-0.

What are you using instead of fgrun?
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm using the launcher that comes with it ... what operating system are you using?

If on windows or mac, the desktop shortcut will open the program and launcher directly. Otherwise, run 'fgfs.exe --launcher'
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby SurferTim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:07 pm:I'm using the launcher that comes with it ... what operating system are you using?

If on windows or mac, the desktop shortcut will open the program and launcher directly. Otherwise, run 'fgfs.exe --launcher'

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.

On one attempt, it did a "core dump", but I can't find it.

Thanks for the launcher tip. Actually, I get much further along in the flight with it, but it still crashes. Here is the last of the new log. It is too big to post. I'll put it on dropbox later.
Code: Select all
   48.52 [INFO]:terrain    /build/simgear-JXsqHp/simgear-2018.4.0~5118+gitb71e9eac/simgear/scene/tgdb/ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:362:Loading stg file Path "/home/tim/.fgfs/TerraSync/Objects/w130n30/w122n37/958408.stg"
   48.52 [INFO]:terrain    /build/simgear-JXsqHp/simgear-2018.4.0~5118+gitb71e9eac/simgear/scene/tgdb/ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:362:Loading stg file Path "/home/tim/.fgfs/TerraSync/Terrain/w130n30/w122n37/958408.stg"
   49.46 [INFO]:terrain    /build/simgear-JXsqHp/simgear-2018.4.0~5118+gitb71e9eac/simgear/scene/tgdb/ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:674:Loading tile 958456.stg
   49.46 [INFO]:terrain    /build/simgear-JXsqHp/simgear-2018.4.0~5118+gitb71e9eac/simgear/scene/tgdb/ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:362:Loading stg file Path "/home/tim/.fgfs/TerraSync/Objects/w130n30/w122n37/958456.stg"
   49.46 [INFO]:terrain    /build/simgear-JXsqHp/simgear-2018.4.0~5118+gitb71e9eac/simgear/scene/tgdb/ReaderWriterSTG.cxx:362:Loading stg file Path "/home/tim/.fgfs/TerraSync/Terrain/w130n30/w122n37/958456.stg"
  162.23 [INFO]:terrain    /build/flightgear-KCGPig/flightgear-2018.4.0~13855+gitc3cd7b397/src/Scenery/tilemgr.cxx:509:FGTileMgr: at lon = -122.39deg, lat = 37.625deg, elev = 329.626m, scheduling needed for:-123:2, 37:5, visibility=19312.1
  162.23 [INFO]:terrain    /build/flightgear-KCGPig/flightgear-2018.4.0~13855+gitc3cd7b397/src/Scenery/tilemgr.cxx:295:scheduling needed tiles for -123:2, 37:5, tile-width-m:22004.8, tile-height-m:13914.9

Edit: My last attempt at 800x600 windows got me halfway around the traffic pattern on autopilot before freezing, and threw this error:
double free or corruption (fasttop)
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
SurferTim

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Using the launcher or fgrun should not affect whether the 777 crashes or not - its simply a lot more modern and user-friendly ;)
legoboyvdlp

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 pm

SurferTim wrote in Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm:On one attempt, it did a "core dump", but I can't find it.

your system may not have core dumps enabled... i don't recall the procedure off the top of my head since i do it rarely and only when needed but once set, it remains... a quick google for something like "ubuntu enable core dumps" should be helpful...

SurferTim wrote in Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm:Edit: My last attempt at 800x600 windows got me halfway around the traffic pattern on autopilot before freezing, and threw this error:
double free or corruption (fasttop)

did you see this in the console? it gives a little more information but not quite enough...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby SurferTim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes, I ran "fgfs --launcher" in a terminal, and that message appeared in the terminal.

I'll check on the core dump setting.

Edit: I think I found it in /var/log/apport.log.
ERROR: apport (pid 11137) Sun Dec 16 09:32:38 2018: called for pid 11120, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 11137) Sun Dec 16 09:32:38 2018: executable: /usr/games/fgfs (command line "fgfs --aircraft=777-300 --airport=ksfo --runway=28l --config=/home/tim/Downloads/config.xml --native-fdm=socket,in,60,,5510,udp --native-ctrls=socket,in,60,,5511,udp --fdm=null --disable-hud --disable-sound --prop:/sim/ai/enabled=false --prop:/sim/ai-traffic/enabled=false --prop:/sim/rendering/bump-mapping=false --prop:/sim/rendering/draw-otw=false")
ERROR: apport (pid 11137) Sun Dec 16 09:32:38 2018: debug: session gdbus call: (true,)

ERROR: apport (pid 11137) Sun Dec 16 09:32:38 2018: this executable already crashed 2 times, ignoring
ERROR: apport (pid 11159) Sun Dec 16 09:32:47 2018: called for pid 11142, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 11159) Sun Dec 16 09:32:47 2018: executable: /usr/games/fgfs (command line "fgfs --aircraft=777-300 --airport=ksfo --runway=28l --config=/home/tim/Downloads/config.xml --native-fdm=socket,in,60,,5510,udp --native-ctrls=socket,in,60,,5511,udp --fdm=null --disable-hud --disable-sound --prop:/sim/ai/enabled=false --prop:/sim/ai-traffic/enabled=false --prop:/sim/rendering/bump-mapping=false --prop:/sim/rendering/draw-otw=false")
ERROR: apport (pid 11159) Sun Dec 16 09:32:47 2018: debug: session gdbus call: (true,)

ERROR: apport (pid 11159) Sun Dec 16 09:32:47 2018: this executable already crashed 2 times, ignoring
ERROR: apport (pid 11201) Sun Dec 16 09:33:51 2018: called for pid 11182, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 11201) Sun Dec 16 09:33:51 2018: executable: /usr/games/fgfs (command line "fgfs --aircraft=777-300 --airport=ksfo --runway=28l --config=/home/tim/Downloads/config.xml --native-fdm=socket,in,60,,5510,udp --native-ctrls=socket,in,60,,5511,udp --fdm=null --disable-hud --disable-sound --prop:/sim/ai/enabled=false --prop:/sim/ai-traffic/enabled=false --prop:/sim/rendering/bump-mapping=false --prop:/sim/rendering/draw-otw=false")
ERROR: apport (pid 11201) Sun Dec 16 09:33:51 2018: debug: session gdbus call: (true,)

ERROR: apport (pid 11201) Sun Dec 16 09:33:51 2018: this executable already crashed 2 times, ignoring
SurferTim

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:26 pm

yes, that is showing your crash but not the necessary information... you're getting warmer :mrgreen:

i'm guessing, also, that you're running saiarcot895's version from their PPA or maybe from their daily (aka edge) repo??
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby SurferTim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:26 pm:yes, that is showing your crash but not the necessary information... you're getting warmer :mrgreen:

i'm guessing, also, that you're running saiarcot895's version from their PPA or maybe from their daily (aka edge) repo??

Yes, that is the version repository.

I don't have a clue where it is doing a core dump, if it is.
SurferTim

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi & welcome,

sorry if I missed this, but have you independently confirmed that the issue is indeed specific to the aircraft in question ?
I am asking because I am finding it a little hard to imagine being a little familiar with fgfs internals.
My assumption would be that you should be able to easily check whether the issue persists when changing locations and/or aircraft.

As a matter of fact, from a troubleshooting standpoint it would be enormously helpful for developers to know if the problem can be reproduced using other aircraft/locations or not. For starters, you could use a different cockpit panel to see if the issue is related to any panel-level features or not.

Speaking in general, the multi-screen feature is known to be somewhat fragile depending on your multi-threading settings, so I would suggest to check the wiki first. I also seem to recall that some of the Canvas code is not really prepared for some of the threading modes supported by OSG. Which is to say, if this is the problem, it would be easy to check by removing/disabling (commenting out) the corresponding Canvas instruments.

Likewise, you could also a non-Canvas enabled cockpit/aircraft.

Don't get me wrong, but before walking you through the whole debugging process, it would make more sense to first of all check if any of the main settings (location, aircraft, cockpit) seem to have an effect on this or not. Some of this can even be automated by using scripted/pre-recorded flights.

For example, to see if the issue is scenery/terrain related, you can use the draw mask feature (Wiki: Draw masks).

disclaimer: I haven't read the whole thread or looked at any backtraces you may have posted already, so this is just a wild guess.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby SurferTim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:57 pm

I tested the Cessna 172 with three windows/displays. Passed.
I tested the Cessna Citation-X with three windows/displays. Passed.
I tested the Dassault Falcon 50 with three windows/displays. Passed. Flying it right now, abut to shoot an ILS approach to rwy 28R @KSFO.
I tested the Boeing 777 with three windows/displays. Failed.
I tested the Boeing 777 with two windows/displays. Failed.
I tested the Boeing 777 with one window and three cameras. Kinda passed. Didn't crash, but the display was distorted.
I tested the Boeing 747-400 with three windows/displays (same flight displays as the 777). Failed.
I tested the Bombardier CRJ700 with three windows/displays. Passed.

Edit:
Boeing 757 failed.
Airbus A320 failed.

I tested all except the 747 at different airports.

Just FYI, the Dassault doesn't fly very well. Couldn't get the ILS localizer/glideslope to acquire.
SurferTim

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:34 pm

thanks for spending the time doing those tests, I do realize that this tedious to do, so it's indeed very much appreciated !
Based on your findings, my hypothesis (working assumption/informed guess) would be that the problem is indeed related to aircraft with cockpit panels using canvas based displays.

In my opinion that would also be plausible, because at the time, the multi-screen/multi-window setup was considered to be fragile, so that the Canvas system got added at a time when that feature was considered broken by most people.

As a matter of fact, the developer who implemented the canvas system did mention on several occasions that he was going to add support for osg window placements at some point, but then other things became more important.

To see if that's indeed the case here, I would suggest copying a canvas instrument from a non-working aircraft into one that is currently working for you - if that ends up crippling the aircraft that would work otherwise, I think it's fairly safe to say that we need to do some canvas level troubleshooting.

Obviously, doing the opposite would also work, i.e. ripping out (disabling/commenting out) canvas based displays from aircraft that are currently crashing for you, to see if the issue persists or not.

For starters, one thing that a non-coder could try is disabling just the cockpit placement itself, so that all the canvas stuff keeps running, but without the texture anywhere shown/updated in the cockpit.

I am not very familiar with the aircraft in question here, so my suggestion would be to see if any of the maintainers are around to walk you through the process, or maybe even provide a flag/property to do this automatically. I do know that some aircraft like the extra500 are enormously configurable - for instance, the E500 devs ended up implementing mode to disable all sorts of canvas stuff for troubleshooting purposes, I think they even provided a GUI dialog to do so.

In other words, if you can reproduce the problem with the Extra500, it may be well suited to easily allow a non-coder to disable Canvas parts to see if the issue persists or not.

Maybe others around here have a better idea - but for the time being, based on the info provided, my guess is that this could be related to the canvas system not having been developed/tested with multi-window/multi-screen setups in mind, probably the canvas placement code in particular. Again, it's just a guess - but it seems plausible to me.

Before you spend any substantial amount of time troubleshooting this further, maybe others could try to see if they can reproduce the issue by running canvas based aircraft in multi-screen mode, to see if that's a red herring or not?

Finally, there is a low-level method to remove subsystems at runtime, in theory this can also be used to disable the canvas system - but it's generally understood to be rather fragile, so I am not sure if it's suited for being used to disable the Canvas system without crashing in and of itself: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Reset/ ... leshooting

EDIT: I only just noticed that you tried the c172p and it worked, are you using the version with the FG1000 ? If not, you should try that next, it's a relatively "simple" mode, but uses a Canvas placement/display, and it supports non-canvas panels, too. So this would be a good way to tell if this is in any way Canvas related or not. The FG1000 is Canvas related, your cockpit should look like this:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FG1000

If this shows up properly in multi-screen setups, the issue would not be specific to aircraft using Canvas based avionics. This should be easy to check, as it involves no editing of files.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm

As far as I am aware there is no c172p with the Garmin 1000. The only aircraft currently using it that I know of is the DR400: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35065 and Stuart's experimental C182S.

The IDG-A32X (https://github.com/it0uchpods/IDG-A32X) uses Canvas displays, while the Embraer E-jet family from https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/E-jet-family does not. That might be a good test.
legoboyvdlp

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:09 pm

thanks for clarifying, for the sake of troubleshooting, we'd ideally use a really simple aircraft/cockpit (think ufo, ogel, santa) - so that we can easily check whether this is a red herring or not (if in doubt, we could create a simple canvas-only 3D model for troubleshooting purposes).

Personally, I'd find it plausible based on the data we have for now (the Canvas system in FlightGear is responsible for rendering MFD avionics like a moving map, PFD,ND, EICAS etc)

Depending on whether the issue is placement related, it might be affected by the other windows actually showing a scene with the corresponding canvas or not.

But again, before spending any substantial amount of time hunting this down with a canvas hat on, it would make sense for others to check whether they're able to run canvas/non-canvas cockpits in multi-screen mode or not.

But even if this is not a red herring, from a bugfix standpoint there is not much to be suggested apart from filing a bug report and tinkering with different osg threading modes to see if the issue persists or not.

However, if this matters to people, it is really important to come up with a reduced test case - ideally using a simple location (or even no scenery at all) and a simple aircraft, so that developers can run fgfs inside a gdb session to see what is going on.

I am not saying that this is indeed the problem, it's just what I'd would personally check first before doing any other troubleshooting - based on the assumption that aircraft not using any canvas based avionics seem to work correctly in multi-window setups (?)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby SurferTim » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I really don't want to change the 777. I like the way it looks and feels. Easy to fly, and about as realistic as you are going to get.

I believe it is a window problem. With three cameras and three windows, it fails. With two windows and two cameras, it fails. With one window and three cameras, it works.

Now if I can just figure out how to get full screen across three monitors without the distortion.

Edit: This is the config.xml that works with one window and three cameras. I just need to figure out how to set the cameras angles without distortion.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<PropertyList>
  <sim>
    <rendering>
      <camera-group>
        <window>
          <name>wide</name>
          <host-name type="string"></host-name>
          <display>0</display>
          <screen>0</screen>
          <width>3840</width>
          <height>1024</height>
          <decoration type = "bool">false</decoration>
        </window>

<camera>
          <window>
            <name>wide</name>
          </window>
          <viewport>
            <x>0</x>
            <y>0</y>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>1024</height>
          </viewport>
          <view>
            <heading-deg type = "double">0</heading-deg>
          </view>
          <frustum>
            <top>0.133</top>
            <bottom>-0.133</bottom>
            <left>-.5004</left>
            <right>-.1668</right>
            <near>0.4</near>
            <far>120000.0</far>
          </frustum>
        </camera>

<camera>
          <window>
            <name type="string">wide</name>
          </window>
          <viewport>
            <x>1280</x>
            <y>0</y>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>1024</height>
          </viewport>
          <view>
          </view>
          <frustum>
            <top>0.133</top>
            <bottom>-0.133</bottom>
            <left>-.1668</left>
            <right>.1668</right>
            <near>0.4</near>
            <far>120000.0</far>
          </frustum>
        </camera>

<camera>
          <window>
            <name>wide</name>
          </window>
          <viewport>
            <x>2560</x>
            <y>0</y>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>1024</height>
          </viewport>
          <view>
          </view>
          <frustum>
            <top>0.133</top>
            <bottom>-0.133</bottom>
            <left>.1668</left>
            <right>.5004</right>
            <near>0.4</near>
            <far>120000.0</far>
          </frustum>
        </camera>
        <gui>
          <window>
            <name type="string">wide</name>
          </window>
        </gui>
      </camera-group>
    </rendering>
  </sim>
</PropertyList>
SurferTim

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics