Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Flightgear scenery download error

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Flightgear scenery download error

Postby Helipilot » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Using Windows 10 with
:destination: "F:\OpenS\Prog\FG\FlightGear 2018.3.1\bin\fgfs.exe" --launcher --timeofday=noon --httpd=8080 --fg-scenery="Terrasync":"F:\OpenS\Prog\FG\readysc" --enable-real-weather-fetch, and
start in: "F:\OpenS\Prog\FG\FlightGear 2018.3.1\bin"
the scenery download often fails totally. It either does nothing or stops.
This does not happen with Flightgear 2018.2.2 with the same command line (exept address of fg.exe of course).

There seems to an issue with an invalid entry path in C:\Users\LEO\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync\Airports\M\.hashes

By the way Automatic download is not enabled on startup with the mentioned

Regards
Helipilot
Helipilot

Re: Flightgear scenery download error

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:57 pm

i have to wonder where it is trying to create/write that "Terrasync" directory you specified in --fg-scenery... that should be a full path, AFAIK... where is your existing Terrasync directory?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Helipilot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am

I do not quite understand your comment. I dont know where the Terrasync directory is. But I also specify a path to a local copy of the scenery, In my opinion it should work the same way as in 2018.2.2 . Anyway I think I found a way around it. I simply ticked the download scenery automatically box in the launcher settings. That seems to do the trick.

Thank You for your time.

Regards
Helipilot
Helipilot

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Helipilot wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am:I do not quite understand your comment.

in your post above, you wrote
Using Windows 10 with
:destination: "F:\OpenS\Prog\FG\FlightGear 2018.3.1\bin\fgfs.exe" --launcher --timeofday=noon --httpd=8080 --fg-scenery="Terrasync":"F:\OpenS\Prog\FG\readysc" --enable-real-weather-fetch, and

i've hilited the part i'm talking about... two paths are specified... "Terrasync" and "F:\OpenS\Prog\FG\readysc"... it is possible that the one without the full path is how FG sets it up to use the default Terrasync directory (in %appdata% on winwhatever) when you have the sim configured to download the scenery on the fly (aka automatically)... i haven't seen that when i use terrasync, though... it really looks like a directory that is not entered properly... that's why i pointed it out...

i use a dedicated directory that both terrasync in the sim and other external scenery maintenance programs point to... that way it doesn't matter if i have terrasync turned on or not... i can maintain that scenery outside of FG (saves CPU) and FG will use the same scenery files either way... normally, if you turn off terrasync, you can't use the terrasync downloaded scenery any more... you get only the default airport scenery and any you specifically downloaded, installed, and/or pointed FG to...

Helipilot wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am:I dont know where the Terrasync directory is.

the default one is in the hidden %appdata% directory on winwhatever... it is in ~/.fgfs on *nix (and macos i think)...

Helipilot wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am:But I also specify a path to a local copy of the scenery,

that's fine :)

Helipilot wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am:In my opinion it should work the same way as in 2018.2.2.

it should be... that part hasn't changed... what has changed is how downloaded scenery packages are handled... now they are handled properly...

Helipilot wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am:Anyway I think I found a way around it. I simply ticked the download scenery automatically box in the launcher settings. That seems to do the trick.

yes, that allows FG to download the scenery into the defined path for terrasync scenery and use it...

Helipilot wrote in Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 am:Thank You for your time.

you are welcome...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation