Board index Other Hangar talk

Old good FSX

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Old good FSX

Postby CaptB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Everyone who use FSX knows what OOM at the end of the flight means(especially with payware) FSX like anything else wasn't perfect, but unlike FG you can't fix most of it's problems.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby www2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:52 pm

I agree with Thorsten about the comparing between Flight Gear and FSX.
For Payway addons functions that i wand to see include flightgear is weather addons as active sky.
This can be done with a combination GFS, METAR, TAF and openweathermap (odbl/CC by-sa 4.0 but only 60 request/min for free but 30/min is save[1])
And a other thing we can is add support for navigraph data in $FGHOME/Navigation that overwrite the default database.
The roadmap in my mind for adding navigraph support is first we create a system to detect if earth_*.dat in $FGHOME/Navigation and load that data or load from $HOME/Navigation.
On a later moment when Little navmap update there navigraph database format to the new version we can include this database format in flightgear.
[1] https://openweathermap.org/price
www2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 pm

We already can have navigraph data easily - the information goes in NavData folders. Airport, fixes, navaids, airways, and points of interest, as well as SIDS / STARS (in the Airport folder) can be included.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby www2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:47 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 pm:We already can have navigraph data easily - the information goes in NavData folders. Airport, fixes, navaids, airways, and points of interest, as well as SIDS / STARS (in the Airport folder) can be included.

I know i mean $FGROOT/Navaids.
The idea is that A user update the nav database using $FG_HOME/Navaids[1] in state of $FG_ROOT/Navaids[2]

[1] http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME
[2] http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_ROOT
www2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Not sure if I am understanding you right but effectively the end result is the same whether you edit FGROOT, allow users to overwrite it in FGHOME or simply use the existing solution which is to add the data to FGSCENERY. Using the latter method, the waypoints, navaids, and data all show as expected, without having to touch FGROOT or FGHOME.
legoboyvdlp

Postby www2 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm:Not sure if I am understanding you right but effectively the end result is the same whether you edit FGROOT, allow users to overwrite it in FGHOME or simply use the existing solution which is to add the data to FGSCENERY. Using the latter method, the waypoints, navaids, and data all show as expected, without having to touch FGROOT or FGHOME.

Thx.
I found this info in the source.
www2

Postby V12 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:10 pm

Openweather free should be enough, update rate in 15 minutes interval and some interpolation is OK. FSXWX works with NOAA datasets.

FSX's live weather engine was connected to Jeppesen web. But now, all Jeppesen's products and services are payware. FSXWX is free replacement of the FSX's inoperable default WX engine. Switch FG to predefined WX scenario, do same thing in FSX and You will see, what is better. IMHO, there is not large difference.

This discusion is pointless, I don't want continue in flamewar. I only described 12 years old sim and found, that old piece of the software is still perfectly usable and nice. Nothing more, nothing few.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:22 pm

V12 wrote in Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:05 pm:- clearly visible regular cloud tiles

you can increase the cloud cover range... it is effectively a LOD but not called that... try setting --prop:/sim/rendering/clouds3d-vis-range in meters or use the F10->View->rendering options dialog and adjust the value on the right side for cloud visibility range and maybe density... definitely the range...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:27 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 am:
Something is wrong in that best weather system

And discontinuity in the pressure, wind speed and direction.

...which I've never been able to observe despite looking for them, and which reading the code shouldn't be there in the first place...

I must say that I haven't observed it myself on a handful of flights recently in the concorde (although I have seen people fall out of the sky due to overspeed tripping the autopilot while they were away during a long group flight!), but I could see how they could happen: for instance you change halfway through from halifax which currently has high pressure to an irish metar with very low pressure, rain, and clouds, I imagine the pressure, wind etc would change fairly rapidly (of course not instantly?) to the new pressure (adjusted for altitude), and if you are in the so called coffin corner, that could have quite... bad results, especially if the autopilot wasn't robust enough to handle these changes?

I know very little about this, but just wondering how it could happen...

Edit - ok - doing a search, in the other topic you mentioned a few functions in the code that should do exactly what I said, interpolate between stations... so I think I was talking through my hat again! :D I'll take a look at the functions just in case there happens to be something there.

@v12, if you see this would you be able to post your advanced weather settings? (The advanced options menu specifically?) Thanks!
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:41 am

and if you are in the so called coffin corner, that could have quite... bad results, especially if the autopilot wasn't robust enough to handle these changes?

Yes, that's a possible scenario.

Though I would claim a real AP also has to deal with things like windshear and sudden turbulence - maybe it disconnects in reality as well, but then there's a pilot around. I also believe there have been actual accidents when a plane was flying in the coffin corner and hit a bad weather condition.

Weather-side we're trying to accomodate two contradictory requirements on how fast we change things:

* real weather is continuous, so we need to smooth out discrete jumps in our information
* people may expect to see *exactly* the weather reported when they are at the METAR station (I assume when people query for the altimeter setting and winds and FG doesn't honor what the data says, we get angry reports)

I'm prepared to say since it's possible to write an AP that can cope with what the weather engine does (usually at the expense of time-averaging input data) people should aim to do so. A real AP will be exposed to input noise as well as really fluctuating input and needs to deal with that just as well.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:41 pm

This is my AW and other settings :

In FG, Concorde doesn't flying at Coffin corner. It is my next goal to fine tune engine performance to obtain real cruise-climb flight. Now, with discontinuity it is not possible. And here is my last almost crash - I lost 30k feets after steep baro pressure change : https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/ ... ID=7069210
V12

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:43 pm

It is my next goal to fine tune engine performance to obtain real cruise-climb flight. Now, with discontinuity it is not possible.

Of course it is.

If you want to tune performance, tune it to an unchanging standard atmosphere, that's how things are measured in real life as well.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Thank You for advice, I will try again with disabled AW.
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 pm

That's not what a standard atmoshpere means. A standard atmosphere is usually ISA - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... Atmosphere
legoboyvdlp

Postby V12 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:23 pm

OK, stupid ask - how can I obtain ISA in FG ?
V12

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk