Board index Other Hangar talk

Old good FSX

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Old good FSX

Postby V12 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am:Well, if you don't know where it is, why do you claim it is in the weather system?

It is simple - clouds are product of the weather...

Thorsten wrote in Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am:But again - if FSX makes you so much happier - then simply invest some money and use it!

FSX is dead. It is based on old 32 technology, where is not room for any improvements. I will not feed a dead horse and will stay with FG.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:07 pm

It is simple - clouds are product of the weather...

In nature - yes. But in a simulation?

You wouldn't assume that the trees you see in FG are a product of forestry or biology, or that houses you see on screen are a product of construction, or that the cockpit you see is a product of engineering either.

Whatever pixels you see on a screen are a product of the renderer - all other subsystems merely tell the renderer what they think ought to be drawn, but the renderer decides upon the final if and how.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 pm

OK, but that pixels are product of the geometric calculation with it's source in weather algorithm based on values obtained and calculated from downloaded METAR and observer position and orientation. And somewhere in that chain is bug.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:37 pm

I've told you where it is - it's the 'up' direction definition in the cloud rendering code, and I've told you that the weather system doesn't know about this at all - it tells the renderer 'draw me that type of cloud at that position'. How that is technically done is completely up to the renderer (and has in fact changed in the past and will change in the future again).

Why can't you simply accept that information rather than insist that it must have to do with the weather code?
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 pm

OK, accepted.
V12

Postby V12 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Conclusion of 1 week with FSX+PMDG 737+FSXWX

FSX is old, but IMHO visualy very good sim. With all options tuned to maximum, You will obtain very nice graphics, but unrealistic, because roads infrastructure coming from NAVTEQ's sources 12 year old. In Slovakia, I found only something looks like main highways. Route planing in FSX is poor, there is not possibility to manual enter SID, STAR, or waypoints from airport's charts. Online planners can export flightplan in format, that can be converted to FSX file format, but it is uncomfortable and FSX is payware. In result - night transalps flight like Sion-Innsbruck with high probability will end with CFIT on approach to destination...
Weather - there are some weather scenarios, visualy not bad. But I very missed live weather. In deploy time probably real weather used free Jepessen data, now that data are as payware service. Solution exist - ActiveSky (known for P3D users), but again - it is payware. Or free utility FSXWX, results are very acceptable. This utility creates its own weather grid with interpolated values (baro pressure, wind aloft etc.) and that values feeds to the FSX.
Boxed aircrafts are visualy very good, but functionaly only average. No MCDU for SID, STAR, only something like GPS navigation. Or use old style VOR to VOR flight. ILS autoland is implemented on B737-800 and A321 (not tested). Graphics of that aircraft is decent. On that PC was installed payware addon PMDG 737 NGX contains 737-800 and 737-800. This aadon is next level in the sim - almost all switches are functional, in the MCDU is AIRAC database (today obsolete, but probably updatable from Navigraph). No problem make flightplan, enter all needed parameters and fly from Sion to Innsbruck in totaly dark and foggy night on autopilot with LNAV/VNAV activated
Flight dynamics is reasonably good, FG 737-800YV is very similar with PMDG 737, or fix base simulator at simulatorcentrum (check viewtopic.php?p=338600#p338600). Default 737-800 FDM is good too, but not as good as PMDG. Default A321 has not simulated FBW, IDG's A32x and 33x family is far better than this one.
FSX doesn't remember last flight settings, You must always select aircraft, airport, time and weather. Very disappoining. There is not possibility for automatic GMT simulation time.

If You can buy FSX with action price 9.99EUR on Steam, it is realy good deal. Standard price 25 EUR is a bit high for dead software without possibility to use high quality addons, this is 32 bit application with limit of 4GB usable RAM. And if I imaginate completely modelled EDDF, KJFK, EGLL, with PMDG, You will hit 4 GB memory limit 10 meters behind the gate. Price for PMDG is around 70 EUR, FSLabs A32x @100 EUR - really high for unexpandable FSX with 32 bit core. But there is 64bit P3D...
V12

Postby pavlin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:54 am

And some picture for Pavlin - the mighty Triple Seven

My wife recently started to do issues while flying, so I think to replace it with the not mighty, but small A320........of course of IDG, lol
During severe issues with navigation on FlightGear I will not create any type of content until I buy myself new pc. That might be in years from now.
pavlin
Retired

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2018 3.1

Postby StuartC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am

FSX is visually crap unless you have a multitude of paid extras to enhance the visuals. And being 32 bit, if you turn the visuals up to a decent setting lever, the framerates are terrible.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby V12 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Is this :

or

crap visual ? Default 737-800 with free weather addon FSXWX. IMHO, full equal to FG, I had 30 fps and memory consumption 1 GB.
V12

Postby StuartC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Default 737 is a payware item, you bought it with the sim.

I present the following .

Standard terrain, my area in FG:-

Same place standard terrain in FSX :-

FSX is so far wrong its not just from another galaxy, its from another galaxy in another dimension. It makes Scotland look like an area from the Med. Case closed. "Standard FSX is a pile o crap. Period.
StuartC

Postby V12 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:05 pm

For me, this is visual crap :

And why ?
- strange rotated clouds (well and long known bug)
- clearly visible regular cloud tiles
- bad landclass definition clearly visible in the lower right portion of the image - it was over Germany (flight from LOWI to EGLL)
- repetitive clouds shapes
- repetitive shapes on right center portion of the image
V12

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 pm

StuartC is comparing apples with apples - the same region of a vanilla installation of FSX and FG.

You are comparing a screenshot of FSX (augmented with payware it seems) especially selected to look good against a screenshot of FG (not augmented by anything) especially selected to look bad.

Using that kind of comparison, you can get any 'result' you like - but in actual reality you merely prove you have no idea how to make a meaningful comparison.

Otherwise - FG is OpenSource - if you see a problem that bothers you, look at the code, fix it, submit a patch. And you'll see the great advantage of OpenSource over Payware quickly.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:11 pm

Only one payware - PMDG. Addon FSXWX is freeware. I'm not writting about aircraf, but scenery and weather. I did not installed any other addon.
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:24 pm

The solution to the cloud tiles is increasing maximum visibility (and accepting the drop in performance) - that allows clouds to be rendered up to 200km away using that slider iirc.

In terms of scenery, at least default scenery, Flight gear is by far superior looking at Stuart's screenshots. Especially our weather is better than default (out of the box)

FlightGear might have its problems but it's not bad for absolutely nothing :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby StuartC » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I did a weather comparison too.

same location, real time and live weather, No addons on ether sim.

FG ( and yes this is exactly the weather I had looking out of my window at the time )

FSX...…………………………

Go home FSX, your drunk.
StuartC

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk