Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Fatal exception "Bad Conversion"

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Fatal exception "Bad Conversion"

Postby Raderim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:50 am

Hello.
I have a little problem. I use the flightgear version 2018.1.1 , and when I press the "FLY!" button message appears [Fatal exception "Bad Conversion"]. How I can fix it?
Raderim

Re: Fatal exception "Bad Conversion"

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:18 pm

you cannot... we need to see the log file to determine the actual problem, though... since you posted in the windows area, i'm guessing your using winwhatever... with that in mind, click on your start button or whatever they are calling it these days... in the white field that appears, type in "%APPDATA%" without the quotes and hit the enter key... a folder should open up... look in it for the flightgear directory... in there you'll find fgfs.log... post it to some place like pastebin and give us a link... you might post it here in a message if it isn't too big (<40k IIRC)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Raderim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Log File - https://pastebin.com/txVKvfBn

My PC spec:

OS - Windows 10 64 bit
GPU - AMD RX 470 4gb
CPU - AMD Phenom x6 1090T OC 3.7
Raderim

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:49 pm

are you sure that's the whole log?
where'd that "GOG" and "Galaxy of Games" stuff come from??

i'll pass this on to the dev mailing list... i can't see anything wrong but someone else might... i can't even find the string "bad conversion" in the FG code... the only time i find that phrase is in openscenegraph and it is related to LUA which FG doesn't use, AFAIK...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby andrepaoletti » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 pm

I've been having the same problem, but with 2018.2.2. Did anyone fix that error? Thanks!
andrepaoletti

Postby bugman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:02 pm

@andrepaoletti: Could you also provide the log file contents? That would help track down the issue. It would be better to copy and paste the content here within
Code: Select all
[code][/code]
tags.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby zakalawe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

andrepaoletti wrote in Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 pm:I've been having the same problem, but with 2018.2.2. Did anyone fix that error? Thanks!

We need some more information to fix this, since it's only happening for certain people. Besides the log file, it would be helpful to know if there's anything unusual about this system: - in terms of home directory, drives, timezone, language settings etc.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW

Postby SquabToast » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:35 pm

[Bad-English]
I had the same issue since 2018.1 . I just fixed it, but I don't know, if it's helpful for you.

(I have my Scenery-folder in my Flightgear-directory "\FlightGear 2017.3.1\data\Scenery"and made it my Download location in FlightGear-settings)
I copied the ,,AI"-folder from "\FlightGear 2017.3.1\data" into the Scenery-folder in "\FlightGear 2017.3.1\data\Scenery" and it worked. I hope you understand what I did, if not, just ask me. :D
SquabToast

Callsign: ATCZulu/Airline6609
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am

@SquabToast: Are you able to unfix it? I'm guessing some of your version numbers are incorrect: you say "since 2018.1", but then you have a "2017.3" FGData folder? But the FGData version and FlightGear version absolutely must match. The information you give unfortunately does not allow us to reproduce the error. I would suggest having a read of the following for what type of information would be useful:

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby StarlkYT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 am

Hi! I have this error too! "Bad conversion", it is appear when I press fly button.
Is there any way to fix this error? And also, here is the log if you want to see: https://pastebin.com/48vUh6Nn

I didn't found the fix of this error, maybe because I am bad in English.

My PC spec
i5-6200u
AMD RADEON m430 (2GB)
4 GB of RAM
StarlkYT

Postby Wally » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:47 am

You can try create user account with name made from ASCII characters only. It seems FlightGear have problems with Unicode file paths.
Wally

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:32 am

upgrade to the latest release, 2018.3, and see if the problem persists... there has been some work done to handle ""unicode"" characters... i note that in the log, there was no problem reading the autosave and navdata database so i don't think the non-ASCII characters in the path are the problem... they might be in a certain block of code but i have this feeling that all are run through the same process before they are used...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Necolatis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:32 am

I can confirm that at least 1 issue that provoke this error is related to Windows username having letter å in it.
å is extended ascii its not even unicode, strange.

I think in nasal the command http.save(img_url, img_path) will provoke the error if the path has å in it.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:23 am

james did some work to handle UTF-8 characters... i don't know if that work is complete or not, though... the best thing to do would likely be for the OP to create a ticket on the bug tracker... as always, the link is at the top of these forum pages above the logo picture :) i'd also be sure to put a link to this discussion in that ticket, too...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Necolatis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:28 am

It seems 2018.3.1 has even more problem with å in username than 2018.2.2.
Some guy I am talking with get the error in some planes in 2018.2.2 but in all planes in 2018.3.1
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Next

Return to Windows