Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Edit a terrain texture  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Edit a terrain texture  

Postby hdouthat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:58 am

I have a bunch of questions about scenery, but I'll start with editing a texture. This may end up just being an RTFM moment. When I run the simulator with regional scenery, almost everything looks like deciduous-hires. I edited the texture to get rid of what I considered the annoying dirt road. It didn't change. When I ctr-alt-click, the assigned landclass is DeciduousBroadCover... When I look this up in regions\global-summer, it is assigned deciduous-hires-autumn. ]When I replaced the autumn with my edited tile, it works. Why doesn't the scenery match the name?

Airport kwbw, head north over forest.
hdouthat

Re: Edit a terrain texture

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:11 am

Usually the problem is that you're not editing the right file - if there is a valid definition that overrides global-summer (which often there is), then you never see a change if you edit global-summer, you need to edit the definition that's actually used.

The materials file which includes all the regional definition tries to be clear about what overrides what, but the scheme isn't always consistent - sometimes you have to muddle your way through.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 am

It sounds like you actually are using global scenery - check if you have global, global DDS, or regional in the view > rendering menu?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby hdouthat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks legoboydlvp and Thorsten. It seems to be some sort of bug but I figured out a work-around. I don't know if its 2018.2.2, Win7, or this computer. I used GIMP to edit the original desiduous-hires.png to eliminate the road. When I start flightgear, the terrain shows up as the original desiduous-hires.png (which isn't even on the computer). If I change regions\global-summer.xml from desiduous-hires-autumn.png to desiduous-hires.png, my edited terrain shows up. Set the line back to desiduous-hires-autumn.png and the terrain goes back to the orignal desiduous-hres.png. If I open the hires autumn file with Paint and save it, it saves 2k smaller and it then works. I'll try replicating this on other computers and map areas. If it seems to be a bug in the regional textures, I'll let the development people know.
hdouthat

Postby Thorsten » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm

When I start flightgear, the terrain shows up as the original desiduous-hires.png (which isn't even on the computer). If I change regions\global-summer.xml from desiduous-hires-autumn.png to desiduous-hires.png,

Which presumably just means you edited the wrong file - you edit deciduous-hires.png, FG wants to show deciduous-hires-autumn.png, hence your edit doesn't show up till you actually modify the xml.

So far so normal.

I'll let the development people know.

For the regional texturing, that'd be probably me anyway.
Thorsten

Return to Scenery