Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Huge improvement from forcing Anisotropic in driver settings

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Huge improvement from forcing Anisotropic in driver settings

Postby iamzac » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:24 am

I found this accidentally, while trying to fix another problem, I turned on anisotropic filtering from the nvidia control panel program settings and noticed huge graphics improvements, without any significant frame rate loss (for 4x with a nvidia 950 ti).
I thought I was already using anisotropic filtering because in the launcher I have this option: --texture-filtering=4 but it turns out it was actually not working.
Now the planes and the scenery look a lot better for me, much closer to how they look in x-plane so I thought that I should share this in case I am not the only one that didn't knew this.
It's like upgrading from a very old version of a program to a brand new one.
iamzac

Re: Huge improvement from forcing Anisotropic in driver sett

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 pm

AFAIK, ansiotropic is not the same thing as antialias... IIRC, texture-filtering and another one are used for antialias...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby iamzac » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:26 am

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 pm:AFAIK, ansiotropic is not the same thing as antialias... IIRC, texture-filtering and another one are used for antialias...

According to the manual texture-filtering is used for ansiotropic filtering and /sim/rendering/multi-samples for antialiasing.
Anyway this has no connection to antialiasing which works fine, only the anisotropic filtering option seems not to work, or if it works it doesn't work as the version forced by the driver.
This is not something new, FlightGear planes and scenery looked blurry and distorted for a long time for me under both windows and linux but I assumed this is how it's supposed to look, now I found out that it can look much better.
iamzac

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:27 pm

ahhh... my bad...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wlbragg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 pm

@iamzac
Any chance we could see before after pictures?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby iamzac » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:53 am

wlbragg wrote in Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 pm:@iamzac
Any chance we could see before after pictures?

You can either see it for yourself or it doesn't matter, I don't see how seeing how it looks for me would make any difference.
Plus I would have to waste about an hour loading multiple planes with multiple liveries and also searching for the right places with the settings off and then repeating it with the setting on and I don't see how this would help.
In your case if you have a nvidia 640 then it most likely doesn't work considering that with my nvidia 950 ti it barely works, I mean I only lost a small amount of framerate (about 2-4 fps I think) but when you frame rate is bellow 30 every frame matters.
iamzac

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm

The last two screenshots are texture filtering 16 in the nividia control panel - the first with texture filtering enabled in the launcher, the second without.

With --texture-filtering=16, but it not forced in the control panel, the aircraft was much darker and everything unclear... to be fair maybe I was underneath a cloud (in the cloud shadows) or something...

I think it is evident that FlightGear looks much better with texture filtering forced in the control panel! Let me check antialiasing and the G1000...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:13 pm

No noticeable benefit, wierd trees... I think while texturing filtering has a benefit, FlightGear's own antialiasing is better...
I think the launcher text also looks not as good with FXAA on.

legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:15 pm

At the quality level where the trees use alpha to coverage (i.e. convert transparency into a raster of fully opaque/fully transparent pixels to simulate foliage) FG needs its own software AA to accomplish that.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Ah, ok - thanks. Still, it would seem Nividia's texture filtering is excellent... the result is impressive!
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:20 pm

I sure won't say bad things about NVIDIA drivers. :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby iamzac » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:13 pm:No noticeable benefit, wierd trees... I think while texturing filtering has a benefit, FlightGear's own antialiasing is better...
I think the launcher text also looks not as good with FXAA on.

FXAA breaks the trees alphas, regular forced antialiasing doesn't although it does make the text look fuzzy so I also prefer the FG one.
And for the fg1000 issue there is a separate antialiasing option for transparency with 4x supersampling (I think) that fixes it but eats the frame rate on my PC.
iamzac

Postby wlbragg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm

You can either see it for yourself or it doesn't matter, I don't see how seeing how it looks for me would make any difference.

For the record, I wanted to see what you thought looked
blurry and distorted
VS
much better

Don't want to cause you to waist much time with it.
I post before and after images all the time, didn't really stop to think it could be an issue.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Problem solved

Code: Select all
 --texture-filtering=number   Specify anisotropic filtering of terrain textures. Valid values is 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. Default is 1.

Anisotropic filtering is only on terrain textures, not on aircraft textures. That would explain why it appears to have no effect on aircraft
legoboyvdlp

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 pm

ahhh... close reading of the available information opens the doors once thought closed/jammed ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Graphics