Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi,
Is Atmospheric light scattering on?

Is the overlay shader on in the shader menu?
Is velcro visuals enabled in the simulation options menu?

As for that I'm not sure if the license allows it, IIRC anything GPL has to stay GPL, right?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 pm

@GinGin, do you know what the Master Alarm button looks like when in a nominal condition, ie: what color that light is or if it is not visible when not in an alarm condition?

For example the abort button. right or wrong that is dark with no visible label until you press abort, then it is labeled red "Abort".

Do you know either of these and how they are supposed to be?

The engine warning buttons are a little different as they show nothing or yellow or red and the yellow and red are not using the same label, they are two different labels.
Last edited by wlbragg on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby wlbragg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 pm

I see some missing textures (visible as blue elements on the pic below).

That's Velcro and nothing is missing. That is what you see if you are not running ALS and the Velcro fur shader is not enabled.

As for that I'm not sure if the license allows it, IIRC anything GPL has to stay GPL, right?

Yes, but that wouldn't keep anyone from working on the other aircraft, it would just not allow the use of any GPL content on the other non-GPL aircraft.

Personally I don't think I would volunteer much of my time to a commercial product without compensation.
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:59 pm

@timewind yes, as lego said, you have to switch on shaders. Menu:

View -> Rendering Options -> ALS should be ON and Shader Effects -> Custom settings, all to maximum.

Otherwise guys, I have some troubles landing at NOR32 in White Sands, I am systematically very low on energy in the last parts, a few minutes before HAC, the Shuttle looses energy while it is on the nominal trajectory before. I though that was due to my rookie piloting, but not switching back to CSS produces the same behaviour:

I am wondering if that could be due to the extra-weight of the OMS-kit, that's the 1500 but it is empty, 1% of fuel/oxy remaining. Then I wanted to test without, starting a TAEM to go to White Sands, but funnily enough, I just don't know what to put in --airport=?? :) That stuff has not ICAO code.

Any ideas welcome!

@Thorsten: perfect the antenna, stows nicely, and thanks Wayne for the improved model!
eatdirt

Postby timewind » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 am

eatdirt wrote in Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:59 pm:@timewind yes, as lego said, you have to switch on shaders. Menu:

View -> Rendering Options -> ALS should be ON and Shader Effects -> Custom settings, all to maximum.

Thanks, I have all shaders set to Max and ALS is ON:

Not sure where to turn on that Velco thing.
timewind

Postby GinGin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:06 am

@Timewind : welcome :)
The sim you mentioned looks pretty interesting . Reading the Apollo manual;)

For the velcro, look under Space Shuttle and options, you have a bunch of options to click

@Wlbragg : I will have a look.
From picture I saw, it’s a dark button that illuminates in bright red with white master alarm letters

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discovery-flight-deck-opf_6236/index.html

Abort button is also dark and illuminates like you modeled it with Abort enlighten

@Eatdirt: try KHMN, Hollowman Air Force base a couple of miles from white sands lakebed
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby wlbragg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 am

I found this which I thought was interesting...

The C/W tone can be silenced and the master alarm red light extinguished by depressing any one of the master alarm push button light indicators; however, the C/W light on panel F7 will remain illuminated until the out-of-tolerance condition is corrected.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 am

Otherwise guys, I have some troubles landing at NOR32 in White Sands, I am systematically very low on energy in the last parts, a few minutes before HAC, the Shuttle looses energy while it is on the nominal trajectory before.

It's one of the bases that are not at sea level - elevation is nearly 4000 ft. Potentially the issue could be that the altimeter is not set properly (?) - which you'd have to do at TEAM interface.

Anyway - it's a looong lakebed - you don't actually need to hit the touchdown point.

Then I wanted to test without, starting a TAEM to go to White Sands, but funnily enough, I just don't know what to put in --airport=??

I guess you should be able to do it by --lat and --lon and --heading...
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 am

I found this which I thought was interesting...

Yeah, it makes it a royal pain to code because we need to keep tabs for which CWS light the tone was on and silenced so that we don't switch the tone on again because the same condition remains, but we do if a different light turns on as well - or if the previous light turns off and on again.

:evil:
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 am

2) Are any of you familiar with Reentry (An Orbital Simulator) project? One guy has been working on it for 4 years so far. Currently, vehicles from Mercury/Gemini and Apollo missions are available (still in Early Access though) and he would like to work on Space Shuttle at some point. Maybe some of you would like to cooperate with him as well in the future?

It's a Window$ only commerical project - kind of the antithesis to what we're doing here.

Also, just watching one of the movies, I dare say we have a couple of physics and rendering issues better under control already (there was no reddening of light in the dawn zone of Earth visible, a rocket had a tightly collimated exhaust outside the atmosphere (in reality it widens quite a lot),...

Edit: But the author is of course entirely welcome to contribute to FG - it's OpenSource :D
Last edited by Thorsten on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 am

Sorry - this should be the last update of the scenery. I think everything is fine now. The last update which I just pushed fixes some issues in the terrain, as well as a re-run of osm2city.

Edit: sorry, the roads need redone again. Some of them are still embedded in the ground.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:59 am

@wlbragg:

Okay, the structure of the master alarm manager is in place - the illumination should be based on

/fdm/jsbsim/systems/cws/master-alarm-cdr-on
/fdm/jsbsim/systems/cws/master-alarm-plt-on
/fdm/jsbsim/systems/cws/master-alarm-aft-on

and when depressed the button should execute

Code: Select all
SpaceShuttle.master_alarm_mngr.unset_alarm();

(I still need to fill in the beef...)
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Yessss my master Alarm :)
Bip Bip Bip ahah

@Thorsten: I am curious, how many line of codes do you think was written for the Shuttle ?
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm

As far as I know about 400.000.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm almost ready to push the graphics for the master alarm, I still have a few things to iron out. Like why the exact same slider code i use for other buttons doesn't want to work for this. I'm sure it is something stupid I did. I already found one thing and fixed it. That got me closer but still some inconsistent actions and visual between the three different buttons.
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight