Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Impossible to download scenery via map interface

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Impossible to download scenery via map interface

Postby Matuchkin » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:54 pm

When downloading the SD scenery from the map interface, the user is provided with single .tgz files that flightgear accepts and uses. One can simply place them in a folder and install them as addon scenery through the flightgear launcher.

However, when downloading HD scenery, the user is provided with a massive folder system, within which are files that are not compatible or accepted by the simulator as scenery. This recurs throughout flightgear versions (I am currently using 2018.2.2) with the exact same issue. I have posted this question months ago and was not provided with a meaningful answer - the first answer stated that the HD scenery folder structure had to match that of the SD scenery, when the SD scenery had no folder or file structure to speak of in the first place.

My question is: why is the addon scenery installation system created to be incompatible with flightgear? Is it possible to install 2.0.1 terrain in a way that doesn't uncontrollably dump hundreds of files into a single directory without the user knowing what locations on Earth these files represent (i.e. terrasync)? I have tried my best to maintain a folder structure in which all terrain attributed to, say, Hawaii, is located in a folder of that name.
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Re: Impossible to download scenery via map interface

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:06 pm

This recurs throughout flightgear versions (I am currently using 2018.2.2) with the exact same issue.

Supposedly this was solved a while ago (?) At least the question was brought up and claimed to be solved.

My question is: why is the addon scenery installation system created to be incompatible with flightgear?

It actually isn't - it's the same file structure as the World Scenery I, just packaged at a different root level. But the basic principle of what goes where is the same.

the first answer stated that the HD scenery folder structure had to match that of the SD scenery, when the SD scenery had no folder or file structure to speak of in the first place.

Which incidentially is the correct answer - I don't know what you mean by 'no folder or file structure to begin with' - of course it has.

The top level folder is Scenery/ with subirectories

Scenery/Models/
Scenery/Objects/
Scenery/Terrain/
(and a few optional others created by OSM2City like Pylons/ and Roads/)

inside these a coordinate scheme is used like e000n40 denotes a square of terrain with 100 subfolders from e000n40/ to e009n49/

This scheme is the same for each and every bit of scenery.

Is it possible to install 2.0.1 terrain in a way that doesn't uncontrollably dump hundreds of files into a single directory without the user knowing what locations on Earth these files represent

No, you have to stick with the latitude and longitude coordinate indexing scheme, you can not change the folder structure.

But the user does know what location these represent - because they're indexed by latitude and longitude, so all you need is a map really.
Thorsten

Return to Installation