Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Cessna 182S refuses to start  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Cessna 182S refuses to start

Postby Matuchkin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I won't call myself "new to flightgear", per se. I've gotten accustomed to flying the DHC-6 (did an airport-hop from Tofino to Attu Station, AK to get used to it), and I now wish to try out the Cessna-182S. However, even though I followed both engine start procedures (the procedure on the checklist and the one on the wiki page), I notice that both of them do not work and the engine RPM hangs just above 1000, then drops as I release the start key. I did a quick look around my gauges and came to the conclusion that there is no fuel flow; the needle on the gauge simply does not budge, no matter how much I manipulate the engine controls. Didn't seem to work when I did the procedure to the letter, so I decided to go all-in, open the throttle fully, enable the fuel pump and anything that can throw as much oil and fuel at the engine, and tried starting the engine with all of these systems running at the same time, again to no avail. Is there something blocking the fuel pump? Some sort of cover that I need to remove or switch that I need to flick? If so, why isn't this mentioned in the checklist? Note that I checked my fuel load and all tanks are full, I also sampled the fuel (hey, you never know) and the color is light blue, so that shouldn't be a problem unless lead content and its resulting wear on the engine is simulated in-game (I highly doubt that).

Thank you for consideration - I've never actually flown an aircraft before.
Matuchkin

Callsign: ML-F1A

Re: Cessna 182S refuses to start

Postby Octal450 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 pm

You may need to prime the engine 3 times.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Matuchkin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:06 pm

it0uchpods wrote in Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 pm:You may need to prime the engine 3 times.

Kind Regards,
Josh

The priming procedure is done via the oil, throttle, and fuel pump. There does not seem to be an actual primer as in the 172P.
Matuchkin

Postby Couchflyer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 pm

I find the same thing and assume that the engine is flooded. Carrying out the flooded engine protocol seems to work sometimes
Couchflyer

Postby Matuchkin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Couchflyer wrote in Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 pm:I find the same thing and assume that the engine is flooded. Carrying out the flooded engine protocol seems to work sometimes

Would you say this is a bug? If so, maybe we should report this to the developer?
Matuchkin

Postby Couchflyer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:11 pm

I doubt if it's a bug. I expect engines flood sometimes.
After failing to start as per the advised proceedure, try this--
Pull back mixture to idle, advance throttle to about 60% then operate the starter again for a while. If it catches, smoothly advance the mixture to full rich and return throttle to about 20% then set for run-up revs.

Also, to risk stating the obvious check that the fuel tank selector between the seats is correctly set .
Couchflyer

Postby Matuchkin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Couchflyer wrote in Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:11 pm:I doubt if it's a bug. I expect engines flood sometimes.
After failing to start as per the advised proceedure, try this--
Pull back mixture to idle, advance throttle to about 60% then operate the starter again for a while. If it catches, smoothly advance the mixture to full rich and return throttle to about 20% then set for run-up revs.

Also, to risk stating the obvious check that the fuel tank selector between the seats is correctly set .

I should probably tell you this, I apologize for the delay:
I got it to work somehow, a few days ago. First time I did it, I decided to activate the pump only after pulling the engine start, but I kind of altered it to this:

- Cold start.
- Connect external power unit, engine heater. Wait until engine is fully heated.
- Both masters on
- Throttle to 20%
- Both magnetos
- Fuel pump on, start engine right away and advance mixture to 100%

Other than that, that last step (which is actually 3 steps put together, as all have to be done in quick succession) can be this:
- Mixture to 100%, start engine, fuel pump on right away

Seems to work. Thank you for your help by the way.
Matuchkin

Return to Flying