Board index Other Hangar talk

Save the plane

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Save the plane

Postby V12 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Today, me and son Adam performed Save the 737 scenario in fix-based professional simulator. It was breathtaking experience - simulated flight to Bratislava with incapacitated flightcrew somewhere over ELLX. Adam was captain, me as F/O. It was gift for his 12th birthday.
Our task was simly - contact someone over radio, change aircraft config for approach and perform ILS autoland. Instructor unpaused sim, Adam took command, I played with radio. All was good till Frankfurt, where ATC informed us Climb, You have traffic on 2 miles 12 o clock. I want to say something like Too close for missiles, switching for guns, but have not enough time and folloved next ATC's command. Adam executed all orders from tower fast and precise like professional pilot. Troubles started 15 miles from EDDF, when instructor ordered activation APP mode. Autopilot failed and show started. Adam's height only 150cm is not enough for visual piloting, with words "My plane" I took command and performed full manual approach. Alarm about disabled A/P sounded in the cockpit, Adam (now with strong unprofessional words "Shut up baby") switched off alarm, after some seconds our 737 landed in s-sw gusty 27 kts crosswind in one piece. ATC stated that he seen better landings in his duty, but congratulated us for unscratched plane and 160 saved souls.
Last edited by V12 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Re: Save the plane

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Wow, impressive read. Thanks for sharing the story :)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Re: Save the plane

Postby V12 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Sorry for my terrible english :)

And photos from cockpit :

Both photos are arranged and has been made after landing at EDDF. In flight, we have not any spare time for make pictures or take the video.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Return to Hangar talk