Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Aircraft models in multiplayer missing???

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Aircraft models in multiplayer missing???

Postby RenanMsV » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 am

Why dont they add something like <nomodel>Aircraft/AI/737-800</nomodel> to the mp system. So if you're flying and dont have the plane, it will show the AI model,
www.flightgearbrasil.com.br
www.fgbrazukas.wixsite.com/fgbrazukas
RenanMsV

Callsign: BR-RVD

Postby Johan G » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 pm

RenanMsV wrote in Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 am:So if you're flying and dont have the plane, it will show the AI model,

There is actually a mechanism for that in FlightGear, though unfortunately it seem to be quite unknown.

The aircraft model transmitted over MP is actually the path to either the 3d model itself or much more common, the xml file animating it. You can see this path in the /sim/model/path property.

If your FlightGear do not have that aircraft installed, but happen to have a model in the AI directory and with the same path otherwise, your FlightGear should use that model instead of the infamous blue and yellow glider.

It is my understanding that in the early years some aircraft developers sometimes included an AI aircraft in addition to the "real " aircraft.

See also the FlightGear wiki section Aircraft-set.xml#Not used for loading multiplayer aircraft perm.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 pm

that's my understanding, too, johan... you worded it much better than i could for some reason... some of the recent discussion on the mailing list has muddled some things for me but i think i still have the gist of what they're talking about...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:23 am

And again, in FG2018.4.0 downloaded yesterday - I can't see MP model for default C172, I see only famous glider. Another models installed via launcher or custom models from fgmembers are as glider, too.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 am

V12 wrote in Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:23 am:And again, in FG2018.4.0 downloaded yesterday - I can't see MP model for default C172, I see only famous glider. Another models installed via launcher or custom models from fgmembers are as glider, too.

I have allways the same problem.
As a workaround, you can add the hangar directories as additional aircraft folder.
I have the FGaddon hangar (http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/f ... atalog.xml) active and
under additional aircraft folders, i have '/home/woodstokk/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/' added.

Drawback: you see then every aircraft two times in the launcher. One time from hangar and a second time without Update/Uninstall button (comes from additional folder).
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:26 pm

This is probably the new LOD code; as it will default to the glider when you're not close enough. Try adjusting the LOD ranges and report back.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm seeing no aircraft at all with this, no matter the LOD ranges.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:51 am

Me too. Something is terrible wrong in last 2018.4.0 :( 2018.3.0 has bug too - on MP aircrafts are not shaders effects.
V12

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:51 am

Richard wrote in Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:26 pm:This is probably the new LOD code; as it will default to the glider when you're not close enough. Try adjusting the LOD ranges and report back.

As far as i know, this bug isn't new and have nothing to do with the new LOD code.
I'm on 2018.2.2, but have this bug also on 2017.3.1 and if i remember correctly also on 2016.4.

For me it looks like the directories of the hangars will not handed over to FG as --fg-aircraft and FG doesnt find the aircrafts.
If I set it manually (as i do) then the launcher read it as additional aircraft directory and I see every aircraft more then one times, but FG find now the aircrafts.
So I think the fix is simple, if FG start up it should automaticaly include the hanger directories as --fg-aircraft.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby V12 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:29 am

In 2018.4.0 daily downloaded few days ago this simply doesn't work. And doesn't work default C172, too.
V12

Previous

Return to Multiplayer