Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG launcher does not update aircraft

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG launcher does not update aircraft

Postby Solid » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Everybody.

Since installation of FGFS 2018.2.2 i noticed that I´m unable to update aircraft via the launcher.

When I install aircraft newly, everything is fine and works. When it comes to an update of an aircraft somethin strange occurs.
On pushing the update button, the update starts downloading. At the end of the download, a window pops up with following message:

"Aircraft installation failed. An error occured installing the aircraft ... : A local file-system error occured".

Furthermore, as long as the aircraft concerned is showing the blue "update"-button, I´m unable to fly that aircraft, because the "Fly!"-button in the launcher tab is greyed out.
This happens with all aircraft installed via the launcher and getting an update.

Due to this I tried starting FGFS as administrator. Still the same occurs. Then I played around with changing users/principals of the folders and files concerned. Nothing changed.

Finally I had to use a workaround: I delete the aircraft folder of the aircraft in "...\org.flightgear.fgaddon\Aircraft". Afterwards I reinstall the aircraft from the launcher and everything is ok.

Does anybody observe the same or knows what to do to avoid the error?

Cheers,
Achim
Solid

Callsign: Solid
Version: 2018.2.2

Re: FG launcher does not update aircraft

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 pm

i would update to the newest release version when it is available and see if this is still a problem... there's been a lot of work done in the launcher regarding downloading and installing craft from the default hanger...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby WoodSTokk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Solid wrote in Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 am:"Aircraft installation failed. An error occured installing the aircraft ... : A local file-system error occured".

Are you flying on Mac or Linux? I noticed the problem if a symlink is in the path.
For developement i have set the aircraft directory to a symlink like

original airplain: /home/user/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/airplain_orig/ (directory)
developement: /home/user/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/airplain_dev/ (directory)
symlink: /home/user/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft/airplain (symlink point to 'airplain_orig/' or 'airplain_dev/')

With this, i dont must rename the directories everytime, i only set the symlink to '_dev' or '_orig' and can quickly switch between this two versions.
If i want update the airplain, i set the symlink to '_orig', but the updater trow a failure message after download, because moving the files in the right directory fails.
The updates can not work if a symlink is in the path.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:44 am

this thing with symlinks may be due to security... can you produce an error message in the case of failing to install a craft into a symlinked directory, please?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 am

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:44 am:this thing with symlinks may be due to security... can you produce an error message in the case of failing to install a craft into a symlinked directory, please?

Sure!
Code: Select all
~/.fgfs/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/Aircraft$ ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx  1 woodstokk woodstokk   13 Okt 26 04:25 Citation -> Citation_orig
drwxr-xr-x 13 woodstokk woodstokk 4096 Okt 26 02:58 Citation_dev
drwxr-xr-x 13 woodstokk woodstokk 4096 Okt 26 04:25 Citation_orig

(only the relevant entries)

After download, the launcher shows:
Code: Select all
An error occurred installing the aircraft Cessna 550/551 Citation II: A local file-system error occurred

This is with FG 2018.2.2 on Debian GNU/Linux Buster/Sid
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 pm

can you query this on the developers' mailing list and see what james has to say about it, please?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Installation