Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Logitech 3D Joystick

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Logitech 3D Joystick

Postby ruhuna » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:19 am

Recently I bought a Logitech ext 3D pro joystick. Once I load an aircraft I go to Help/logitech joystick and bring up the page to modify the buttons. Once I change the axis and button assignments it gets saved automatically. So far so good. What I want to know is can I save a different configuration separately. ie. keep the first one save the second one as well. Thanks
ruhuna

Re: Logitech 3D Joystick

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 pm

not easily, no... you have to swap the files behind the scenes outside of FG and then run the sim with the file you want to use... they'll all have the same name so some renaming is involved...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ruhuna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks wkitty42 for the quick reply. I changed axis and button assignments by opening a FG session and going to 'Help/Joystick Configuration'. Where is the file with these changes located? There are some xml files in 'data/inputs/joysticks/logitech/extreme-3D-pro.xml'. i can rename a copy but how do I access a particular file OR have I completely misunderstood the whole process!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ruhuna

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm

ok, default files are found in the FG data directory... for those, like joystick, that the user can change, the selected default file is copied to their (on linux) ~/.fgfs/Input/Joysticks directory where the modification takes place... if this file exists then this file is the one FG uses otherwise it uses the default one in the data directory... this modified file will be found in a winwhatever user's %appdata% directory inside the flightgear.com folder... i'm not sure where it is found on a mac, though...

so my suggestion was this...
1. make your changes, save them and exit the sim.
2. copy Input/Joysticks/foobar.xml Input/Joysticks/myfoobar-1.xml
3. restart the sim, make the changes you want for the other file and exit the sim.
4. copy Input/Joysticks/foobar.xml Input/Joysticks/myfoobar-2.xml
5. now simply copy one of the myfoobar-*.xml files to foobar.xml when you want to use it.
6. remember if you make changes, you will need to copy them over to the proper stored file so you will have them the next time you copy and use that file.

i used foobar.xml above but the actual file name will be one that represents your joystick... you would use that name to copy the stored file name from to whatever name you want to use to identify the file... when you copy one of your stored files for the sim to use, you would copy it to the exact original file name for your joystick...

you could script this and i have done similar for other programs in the past but there is always the chance that something will happen and one of the stored files will end up default or containing the changes from the other stored file... depending on how often you change the layout of your joystick, you may have no problems as long as you keep it straight in your head which file is what...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby ruhuna » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 am

Thanks a lot for taking the time to give a detailed reply. Now I think I understand the location of the files etc. I will try out your suggestions tonight and post the outcome. BTW - I am using win 7 pro on an old laptop (FG 3.4.0) and a new laptop win 10 (FG 2018.2.2) and all this time using mouse and keypad. Cheers
ruhuna

Postby ruhuna » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi wkitty42, I tried a couple of new configurations and saved as you suggested (win 10 / FG 3.4.0). It worked!! :) Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it. I don't want to take up more of your time but when you have time can you (or anyone ) please explain how the 'Custom' option works. Thanks
ruhuna

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 pm

i have no idea about the custom option... sorry... hopefully someone else will be along who knows that part ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Hardware