Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

RAF Airbase Taxiway/Ramp lighting  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

RAF Airbase Taxiway/Ramp lighting

Postby RobAndrew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 am

Hi all,

I've been trying to get out at night recently, (I'm sure some can tell :wink: ) from a few different UK RAF Air bases. Trouble is i'm having a real hard time seeing things to taxi out to the runway. I've tried using night vision from both Rembrandt and ALS but both slow my system down to a crawl. So I was pointed in the direction of doing such a manoeuvre without Night vision. Unfortunately there are no guide lights at most places.
Now I won't pretend that I know anything about any of the Air bases around Britain, I've only visited a few of them and I've never even touched any of the aircraft that sit on their parking spots. So i'm not even sure that they have said Ramp/taxiway lights. would it be a good idea to implement these lights to the UK Airbase scenery at all?
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Re: RAF Airbase Taxiway/Ramp lighting

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:44 am

If you can't run Rembrandt (or ALS), there's no real way to implement such lights so that they actually work, so the question whether it'd be a good idea remains a bit academic.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 am

There should be at minimum blue taxiway edge light and almost certainly green centreline lights. You don't see either of them?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby RobAndrew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:53 am

I certainly see Blue taxiway lights, But these are usually only covering the the taxiway right next to the runway and not covering any of the parking ramps or taxiways leading to said taxiway. Okay, Maybe it's time I try and figure out a way to get ALS or Rembrandt working well on this laptop. Maybe I need a new laptop. This one is getting old, despite the RAM upgrade
RobAndrew

Postby RobAndrew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Also, I believe you when you say that there isn't a way to put lights on the ramps and the taxiways, I just wonder why? There are lights along the runway and main taxiways-I would've thought it would be relitavely simple to replicate said lights in different positions in an airport editor (whatever it's called) guessing it's not that simple?
RobAndrew

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

To do that requires the scenery to be rebuilt - a lengthy, painstaking process. For instance, I have a local copy of Ireland on my disk in progress - it took me over 16 hours to process, not even counting time taken to download, edit, and prepare the data.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby RobAndrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 am

Oh okay. So Editing Airports or adding Airports doesn't cover this? I believed that you could add and edit airports without needing the whole scenery rebuild-am I wrong?
RobAndrew

Postby Thorsten » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Yes, you are wrong.

(You can add 3d work to an existing airport (buildings, trees, other models,...), but layout changes need a scenery rebuild).
Thorsten

Postby RobAndrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Ahhh, right okay. Thanks very much for the Info! I'll bear it in mind for future. I understand there are....stirings....of a new scenery rebuild. I'm taking these as just rumours and not fact, there seem to be a few people shouting out how long it would take. If such an idea did exist, could this potentially be part of it? Would I need to ask developers?
RobAndrew

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm

there is work being done to try to rebuild the scenery, yes...
there is work being done to try to allow for rebuilding portions of the scenery, yes...
there is work being done to try to allow for rebuilding portions of the scenery as certain aspects are updated, yes...

there is not anything that i'm aware of that allows just random editing/adding of airports and throwing them into the scene without rebuilding the scenery affected... this is because the scenery needs to have a hole cut into the mesh that matches the block of land that belongs to the airport and then the airport can be added during scenery generation...

there is also no guarantee that the work being done on the scenery regeneration capabilities will ever bear fruit other than being able to generate all of the world scenery in one huge multi-week long execution... we all sure hope it does but it is better to not hold one's breath while waiting ;)
generating scenery is a massive and delicate project with the current tools...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby RobAndrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Okie Dokie! I to have my fingers crossed! I look forward to the new scenery, if it arrives!
RobAndrew

Return to Scenery