Board index FlightGear Support Installation

which osx best for FG? need advise

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

which osx best for FG? need advise

Postby naplesAPF » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 am

My Mac spec is Currently OSX Version 10.6.8
MacMini (Mid 2010 Model: Macmini 4,1)
2 .4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDA GenForce 320M
Currently running Flight Gear Version 3.2 (=the highest compatible version for this OX S)

Am upgrading system to new one above version 10.6.8. Currently am running Flight Gear Version 3.2 (*=This is the highest compatible FG version that works with the OS X system currently running on my Mac mini.)
I've read here that some versions of FG do not run well, or at all, with certain Mac OS x system versions. Am afraid to install a new OS X that may not run FG. Thus

My question:
Need anyones advise Which Mac OS X would be the best system to choose for FG? Which would run FG the best?
naplesAPF

Re: which osx best for FG? need advise

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 pm

i thought i'd share this tidbit from the developers' mailing list...

James Turner wrote:FlightGear is available for download on macOS, versions from 10.7 and upwards are supported, on Intel-based desktop and portable Macs. You can also build FlightGear yourself on Mac, using the freely available Xcode tools from Mac, and some additional libraries.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation