Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

NLCD data

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

NLCD data

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:20 pm

I am looking to get back into some scenery creation/updates for some select locations I want to see more accurate.

I was starting my re-acquaintance with the available data and came across this. I have no further info other than i thought it interesting and I am just now starting to explore what, if anything, has changed since the last time I produced scenery from this source.

https://www.mrlc.gov/2018/
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: NLCD data

Postby xDraconian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 pm

I've been trying to decide how to best leverage this data also. I'm torn between the work necessary to clean up this dataset vs. doing my own land classification. I'm leaning toward trying to get this data into a useful format. I'd want to do some smoothing algorithms to remove the pixelation.

It's in the parking lot currently. I've been focused on doing the simpler work efforts before I tackle this, which I think would be a much bigger effort - but also with a much bigger reward in the end.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:36 pm

If/when you get to the pixelation issue, I have a bit of insight I would like to share with you. Could save some unnecessary problems and make for a better product.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby statto » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:11 am

It should be almost exactly the same as the other products, just updated for 2016. I should still have my generalisation scripts somewhere.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby pb321 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you for sharing the link, @wlbragg. It is particularly interesting to read the following bullet:
An improved look and feel to NLCD land cover will be accomplished by integrating pixel based and shape based classifications and new ancillary data layers

It is not clear to me what this will mean to FlightGear scenery creation, if anything. Any thoughts?
Please add me to the list of those interested in techniques used to smooth NLCD data, scripts, information and tips.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby statto » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 am

I don't think it's going to make much difference, to be honest - they'll just be using more data sources on their end.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Return to Scenery