Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Missing 'patches' of scenery

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Missing 'patches' of scenery

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Hello,
I have another query about scenery. I have downloaded a 'rectangle' of scenery from the FlightGear website, and I have patches of scenery missing. See video attached. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks,
Ivan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4G7uRZxVk4
Ivan-Pekar

Re: Missing 'patches' of scenery

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Did you download any of the adjacent rectangles, especially if the airport is on a tile edge?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Yes, and I even checked in the 'data -> Scenery -> Airports ->' , and the xml folders were there.
Ivan-Pekar

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:30 pm

I've had something that looks similar happen in the past. It straitened itself out with subsequent updates to newer versions of FGFS.

What I found on my system when that happened is i could get it to load the tile eventually by leaving the area and moving back into it, sometimes. I'm talking many versions of FGFS back. I haven't seen the behavior for a long time and I never did understand what caused it or what fixed it.

Where did you get the tiles and what tiles were they?
Are you running terrasync at the same time?
What version of FGFS are you running?
What OS?
How did you install FGFS?

If you have a way to zip up the scenery and post it somewhere I could try to reproduce your problem and verify if it is the scenery or your installation.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Hello,
I got the tiles from "https://home.flightgear.org/download/scenery/" -> "http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/~fgscenery/WS2.0/scenery-2.0.1.html".
No, I don't run terrasync.
I am using FGFS 2018.1.1
I am using Windows 10
I installed FGFS from the download central of the page ("https://home.flightgear.org/download/")

If you would like to, you can download the scenery from the link above (each rectangle is named by longitude and latitude, mine was e60n50)

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Can you give me a starting ICAO of LAT/LON?
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:32 pm

I have the opposite problem you have. I removed my path to my world scenery and turned off terrasync and yet when I load in an area I know I have never been, somehow I have the scenery.
wlbragg

Postby Alant » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:36 pm

When Flightgear is running could you look at the properties /sim/fg-scenery, /sim/fg-scenery[1] , /sim/fg-scenery[2] etc to check that the scenery you have downloaded and installed is beeing looked at, and that the list of entries corresponds with the scenery sources that you are using?

Note that the first entry in this list takes precedence over higher entries.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:49 am

If it's just a chunk that's missing and not a whole horizon, it may simply be a hangup in the loading queue. I've seen them now and then, never could figure out the precise triggers. Usually a scenery reload (change e.g. tree density to something else, change it back, exit the menu, scenery re-loads) fixes it and you can go on.
Thorsten

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 pm

To wlbragg,
Yes, ICAO : USCC IATA: CEK (Chelyabinsk)

To Alan,
Yes, I did check and the simg/fg-scenery[1] showed the correct directory to the xml files of the scenery.

Thank you,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Ivan,

How close to the missing tile is that location?
Which direction should I fly to find the missing edge.

If you have a way to zip up the scenery and post it somewhere I could try to reproduce your problem and verify if it is the scenery or your installation.

One reason I asked this is to eliminate the possibility of a bad download. Just because I successfully downloaded the tiles doesn't mean you were successful. It's possible you didn't get a good download.

I got the tiles from "https://home.flightgear.org/download/scenery/" -> "http://ns334561.ip-5-196-65.eu/~fgscenery/WS2.0/scenery-2.0.1.html".

Did you try downloading it a second time?

I have the opposite problem you have. I removed my path to my world scenery and turned off terrasync and yet when I load in an area I know I have never been, somehow I have the scenery.

When I did have terrasync on it made a folder for the scenery it downloads to reside in. Even if you shut it off that folder and whatever scenery has already been downloaded remains available to the simulator (using the QT-launcher). So apparently I actually flew near that area at some point in time. Once I excluded the terrasync scenery folder I was able to load the e060n50 chunk, everything looks OK near the airport.
wlbragg

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Perhaps the OP's LOD setting is too low, so scenery is not loaded till the last minute? Alternatively perhaps TerraSync is not actually disabled (check file - download scenery) and thus it is trying to download the files and they aren't being loaded from disk?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Ivan-Pekar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 pm

wlbragg,
On the video, I was directly south of the airport, within the cyan circle of the ILS.
How can I find out whether it is a good or bad download? It is from the official website, so they ought to be good, right?

I notice sometimes that, with other locations, I fly once and it is there, the next time I fly, it disappears, and re-appears the third time.

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan-Pekar

Return to Flying