Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

FGBlenderTools - FlightGear Development Tools (Blender)

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: FGBlenderTools - FlightGear Development Tools (Blender)

Postby xDraconian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am

@slawekmikula,

3269379 works without error (you specified 3269679, but that is not a valid tile)
It is a big file, so it takes some time to process. You may have aborted too soon.

Please try again and let me know if you resolve the problem.

3269379 BTG loaded into Blender

3269379 Shapefiles loaded into QGIS
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby slawekmikula » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:53 am

xDraconian wrote in Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 am:
slawekmikula wrote in Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm:IMPORTANT. There should be FG_ROOT environment variable set in order to load the extension

I thought I had included that in the instructions. Will double-check.

After checking the instruction (as usual, first fire it up next look at the documentation;)) there is a mention about FG_ROOT in next chapters, but right now not setting it prevents addon to load.

Just 2 cents: great tool, i hope i can use it someday, right now just checking and reporting it all
slawekmikula

Postby slawekmikula » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 am

xDraconian wrote in Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am:@slawekmikula,

3269379 works without error (you specified 3269679, but that is not a valid tile)
It is a big file, so it takes some time to process. You may have aborted too soon.

Yep, sorry - wrong rewrite to the post. Yes, i've aborted just because the mentioned error occurs in the console (it keeps repeating). I'm checking it right now. I think maybe it slows down import process (continuously generating exception). Ah. Blender 2.79b.
slawekmikula

Postby xDraconian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:22 pm

slawekmikula wrote in Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:53 am:Just 2 cents: great tool, i hope i can use it someday, right now just checking and reporting it all

Thank for your kind words and for reporting the challenges you encountered. This will be helpful to me toward minimizing the difficulties people experience in future revisions.
xDraconian

Postby Imran Anees » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 am

HI, I can't seem to get FGBlenderTools working.

I have followed the 'instructions for Windows' you have in the first post of this topic, along with the readme in FGblenderTools.zip

By following the readme I came to the point where you enable FG Development Tools inside blender, but it returns an error 'no module named 'shapefile' '
And I don't seem to have python packages 'pyproj' and 'shapefile' in blender's 'pythondist-packages' folder, said so in the readme.

Any idea how I can these packages installed?

Thanks in advance,
Imran
FlightGear! Fly Free!
Imran Anees

Callsign: IM-RAN
IRC name: IM-RAN
Version: 2016.1

Postby portreekid » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am

I din't use the approach of copying the packages I installed it within the Blender python.
I used packages from https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ and installed them to the Blender python directory since pyproj didn't want to compile. You can also download the pyshp and install the whl via pip.
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby Imran Anees » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi portreekid,

Thank you for replying but could you give me a detailed process of installing them by the above method because I cant seem to figure it out myself. Sorry for being such a noob.
FlightGear! Fly Free!
Imran Anees

Postby xDraconian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 am

Imran Anees wrote in Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 am:By following the readme I came to the point where you enable FG Development Tools inside blender, but it returns an error 'no module named 'shapefile' '

Hi @Imran,

It sounds like this worked fine:
Code: Select all
.\python -m pip install -U pip
c:\Python36\python -m pip install -U setuptools
c:\Python36\python -m pip install -U cython
c:\Python36\python -m pip install -U pyshp
c:\Python36\python -m pip install -U pyproj

Test with:
python -c "import pyproj; pyproj.test()"

It sounds like this step was missed:
xcopy c:\Python36\Lib\site-packages\shapefile.py c:\blender\2.79\python\lib\site-packages\
xcopy c:\Python36\Lib\site-packages\pyproj c:\blender\2.79\python\lib\site-packages\pyproj\

Change the path names as appropriate for your Python3.6 and Blender install locations

Scott
xDraconian

Postby Imran Anees » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:28 am

HI xDraconian,

I went through the process again, I got it to install pyshyp, but then when running installation for pyproj, this happened:

Collecting pyproj
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/29/72/5c1888c4948a0c7b736d10e0f0f69966e7c0874a660222ed0a2c2c6daa9f/pyproj-1.9.5.1.tar.gz
    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
    using bundled proj4..
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "c:\Python36\lib\site-packages\setuptools\msvc.py", line 489, in _find_latest_available_vc_ver
        return self.find_available_vc_vers()[-1]
    IndexError: list index out of range

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "C:\Users\IMRANA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-maxtp1l2\pyproj\setup.py", line 72, in <module>
        objects = cc.compile(['nad2bin.c', 'src/pj_malloc.c'])
      File "c:\Python36\lib\distutils\_msvccompiler.py", line 345, in compile
        self.initialize()
      File "c:\Python36\lib\distutils\_msvccompiler.py", line 238, in initialize
        vc_env = _get_vc_env(plat_spec)
      File "c:\Python36\lib\site-packages\setuptools\msvc.py", line 185, in msvc14_get_vc_env
        return EnvironmentInfo(plat_spec, vc_min_ver=14.0).return_env()
      File "c:\Python36\lib\site-packages\setuptools\msvc.py", line 843, in __init__
        self.si = SystemInfo(self.ri, vc_ver)
      File "c:\Python36\lib\site-packages\setuptools\msvc.py", line 485, in __init__
        self.vc_ver = vc_ver or self._find_latest_available_vc_ver()
      File "c:\Python36\lib\site-packages\setuptools\msvc.py", line 492, in _find_latest_available_vc_ver
        raise distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError(err)
    distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

----------------------------------------
Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in C:\Users\IMRANA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-maxtp1l2\pyproj\

It emphasized on this:
Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in C:\Users\IMRANA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-maxtp1l2\pyproj\

On running python -c "import pyproj; pyproj.test()",

it returned
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyproj'

Thanks for checking it out for me,
Imran
FlightGear! Fly Free!
Imran Anees

Postby Imran Anees » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 am

OK, I installed Microsoft VS Build Tools and it seemed to install pyproj without any errors,

After successfully copying shapefile.py and pyproj into blenders python\site-packages\ folder,
I opened up blender and installed io_scene_flightgear.zip via 'Install Add-on from file'

Then, on clicking on 3D Flightgear Development Tools from the list of addons, it is displaying an error, saying blender can't import pyproj.

I'm really confused now.

Imran
FlightGear! Fly Free!
Imran Anees

Postby V12 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Is possible to export changed scenery back to btg ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby xDraconian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi @V12,

Current, saving a BTG is not supported. Not sure if that is even a good idea. Do you have a good use case for why that would be needed?

In the future, this will support saving STG files. The idea being that you could do object placement within Blender rather than with the UFO. No timeline defined for that yet.

Scott
xDraconian

Postby V12 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:10 am

There is many airports, where You can observe some kind of terrain problems. Like default Madeira (corrected by custom scenery), Saba, Lukla, etc. Or airport has only basic 1 runway and 1 taxiway in FG, but the reality is bit different. And many much other examples, where grass is instead of concrete surfaces. When tile is processed with terragear chain tools, in many cases user can observe incorrect seams between modified tile and other unmodified scenery. With possibility to edit scenery in Blender on vertex or surface level, after save to .btg the seams should not be affected, ofcourse if I did not modified vertices or faces that are direct on the seams.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby xDraconian » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:04 am

I'll consider BTG Save as a backlog item. Fixing seams being the best use case. The other ideas, like missing runways or grass where you don't want it, is best handled by regenerating the scenery.

Thoughts...
I believe our desire to 'repair' comes from the long lag between World Scenery releases and also the constraints of not having access to the shapefiles. The shapefile problem has been temporarily mitigated and Torsten is working on a more permanent solution. Torsten and I are also working toward a vision where scenery is routinely regenerated. We're still several months away from that vision, but it makes 'repairs' even more troublesome because regeneration will undo the repair. Best approach will be to figure out ways to make the repair permanent.

Scott
xDraconian

Postby Figaro » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:11 am

I'd like to throw my support behind a save feature.

And here's why.

UGTB - Shota Rustaveli Tbilisi International Airport - this is the default Terrasync scenery. Two default layout runways.

UGTB - with an updated layout from the X-Plane gateway, then run through the TerraGear genapts web tool. The layout needs a lil extra work though. Into FlightGear with the surrounding tile removed.
13L/31R is a disused runway. Not sure how best to handle it. Leave it like this and modeling big X's is my idea - unless theres a better solution. Probably rework it in WED I guess, not too sure.

UGTB - with an updated layout, being swallowed by the surrounding tile.

With a save tool, I'd adjust the surrounding tile as needed and go from there.

With WED, the online genapts tool and a save function with FGBlenderTools I'd be able to update layouts and scenery as I need very easily - and all well within my technical ability. Regenerating the scenery through TerraGear is beyond me - I've never got it to work as I've needed it. (Ideally I'd know someone who could generate the scenery to work properly - but I also don't like the idea of relying on someone for that)

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

-S
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery