Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Not connecting to server

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Not connecting to server

Postby GreatPilot8 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 pm

For some reason my computer does not connect to any server.
They have apparently no pilots online when my friend is online in the same server!
HELP PLZ
GreatPilot8

Re: Not connecting to server

Postby drR0ckso » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 am

You may need to be patient. In my experience, pulling up the MP server dialog starts the process of querying the servers to determine which ones are closest. I open the dialog, then close it... wait five seconds, open again and select which ever one it has decided. I'm about 20 ms from my nearest mpserver, so it's pretty reliable to me which one it will be. If you're having this issue and it's not related to polling, you can try manually selecting mpserver01.flightgear.org, and then looking to see if you are showing up on the server (i.e.: telnet mpserver01.flightgear.org 5001, look for your callsign@LOCAL). The problem is probably either an ISP issue with UDP port 5000, or your firewall/NAT, or both.

It also helps if you tell us which server you connected to that you observed no other users on. Of course, if your friend isn't within 100 miles of you, you won't see them.
I speak only for myself.
drR0ckso

Re: Not connecting to server

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 pm

clarification: if your friend is not within 100 miles of you in the simulator, you won't see them at all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Multiplayer