Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

DIY & EXTRAS: Who's in the driving seat?

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

DIY & EXTRAS: Who's in the driving seat?

Postby david4121 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:03 pm

DIY & EXTRAS: Who's in the driving seat?Having trouble persuading clients to pre-book car hire with you? We ask car hire experts for the counter-arguments you need to quash misconceptions and convince any doubting customersMyth: I only want transfers to and from the airport - that'll be cheaperFOR MORE INFORMATION: Car speakersYour Car Hire: Transfers can often be a lot more expensive. For instance, the average airport transfer company will charge around #350 for a return minibus transfer for a family of four from Naples Airport to the Amalfi Coast. Your Car Hire can offer a family-size Fiat Brava for #312 (including 15% agent commission).Holiday Autos: A lot of valuable time can be wasted waiting for buses, and transfers often return customers to the airport hours before their departure.Avis: You can buy car hire from as little as #90 per week and utilise it throughout your holiday.ImageMyth: I've got two young kids - I can't take the risk of there not being a child seat available for usHA: Child seats are mandatory in most countries and must be requested at the time of booking. We'll guarantee all child seats that are booked and confirmed at least seven days before the rental starts. For older children, we recommended people take their own booster seats.Avis: If clients book with Avis, we can guarantee the child seat before they travel.Myth: Car hire's okay for two people, but I've got three kids and a mountain of luggageYCH: Vehicle sizes range from a Fiat Panda to a nine-seater minibus, so there are options that are suitable for families, large groups and golfers with clubs.Myth: I've heard that the excess on car hire is extortionate - I don't want to take the riskYCH: All car hire companies charge an excess in the event of an accident. However, this can be waived by taking out additional cover. Your Car Hire offers a damage excess waiver for #2.50 per day, which refunds the excess in the event of an accident, or a super damage excess waiver for #4.50 per day, which adds on cover for any damage to the vehicle. Locally, waivers can be extremely costly. For example, in Italy, Dollar Thrifty will charge E13 to E26 per day, depending on car type, which can work out at more than the hire cost.Myth: We'll be able to hire a car for less when we get thereYCH: It is very rare to be able to hire a car cheaper locally, especially in high season. Booking in advance means clients know exactly what car they're getting and what they're paying, including any extra waivers.They also know they're hiring through a reputable firm. Plus, of course, once abroad they may find there are no cars available, as happened in Portugal last July and August.RELATED ARTICLE: https://www.scoop.it/t/how-to-choose-best-car-speakers-6x9-inch-6-5-inch-6x8-inch-4-inchHA: Tell clients that in some places there's only one local supplier and no competition to keep prices down.Myth: It's hardly worth it if we're only going for three days, and we'll just use taxis and buses if we want to go on day tripsHA: Taxis to and from the airport alone can cost as much as a week's rental. A return taxi from Malaga airport to Marbella can cost as much as #150, whereas a whole week's car hire starts at #111.Affordable Car Hire: This is not the safest or most reliable way of getting around on holiday, especially for those laden down with luggage. Relying on the local bus timetable can severely limit clients' freedom.Avis: We offer great weekend rates.Myth: We touch down late in the evening - the airport will be deserted and we wont be able to find our resort in the darkAvis: Many of our locations are at airports, plus we give clients detailed maps and can provide a GPS.YCH: Many car rental desks are open 24 hours, especially in the hotspots. Those that aren't will often offer an out-of-hours service for a small local fee. If clients are still worried, why not suggest having a car delivered or arranging to collect it at a nearby town a few days later?Myth: If something goes wrong, we'll be in a foreign country where we don't speak the language, and there will be no one to helpYCH: On collection of the vehicle clients will be given a 24-hour emergency number that is staffed by an English speaker. Alternatively, the car hire broker will often have a 24-hour emergency number in the UK.Myth: I'm not a confident driver - I'll struggle with the foreign driving regulations and driving on the other side of the roadImageHA: It's easier than it sounds - after all, thousands do it every year without having any problems. If there are unusual signs or driving rules, they'll be explained on arrival.YCH: There are many websites with tips on driving abroad, such as Drive- alive.co.uk and Aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk Tell customers they could use the car for rural excursions only. And if they're still worried, tell them to hire an automatic.Avis: You can hire an English speaking GPS to help you on your way.Myth: We want a fly-drive. That way you get a free car!ACH: There is no such thing as a free car. You often end up paying more overall.Myth: We will book with our tour operator insteadACH: In some cases this will be through the local car rental company, which won't offer you the best deal.SEE ALSO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvdX_9IyZ_sMyth: I'm still not sure I want to book a car at the moment...YCH: We're currently offering free cancellation. By booking a car at the same time as a holiday, clients will have the best of both worlds: the type of car they want at a locked-in price, and the option to cancel at no cost.Our experts
Last edited by david4121 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david4121

Re: List of hardware for FlightGear

Postby dilbert » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 am

Have an Intel I3 desktop with NVIDIA 210 graphics and 8 GIG of ram that has worked OK for me. Am using a Logitech 3D Pro stick. I'm not that big into realistic scenery, and generally operate with the default rendering options. However, FlightGear has multiple scenery enhancement options-power lines, detailed roads, and buildings;also complex graphics effects-Atmospheric light scattering, 3D clouds, etc; all of which put more demand on the processor and memory. So, in that case, you might consider an I5 or better,16 GIG ram and Invidia 710, or equivalent. However, I would first give priority to investing in a really good monitor. Best Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:00 pm

I actually run a lot of enhancememts fine with a low-end separate GPU with 4GB of RAM...
For the OP, you only need your mouse and keyboard. A joystick is not required as you can fly with the mouse. The low-end settings work for everything but ultracheap laptops, so you will be more likely fine than not.
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Postby dilbert » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:03 am

This morning ran with all possible view enhancements on my I3 using T2C. Worked perfectly, so feel like my above described system is pretty adequate. However, I was using installed scenery and not automatically
downloading; and the T2C doesn't impose a high load. As far as ram is concerned-use seems to max out at around 4GB. On occasion, it goes slightly above, so 8 GB seems plenty, as Parnikkapore has indicated. In my experience, automatic scenery downloading is the main bottleneck; however, haven't positively identified whether internet connection, WIFI, or machine capacity is the main culprit, though I suspect the former two.
I subsequently left all the enhancements on except ALS. Because, when flying in my part of the world, what immediately strikes one is the greenness of the landscape; and the ALS washes the color out more than I like. Color does disappear with distance and altitude, but on my system ALS reduces the green grass hue immediately adjacent to and while sitting on the runway,
Best Regards :)
Last edited by dilbert on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dilbert

Postby sim » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:07 am

My 10 year old pc has mediochre graphics and 4G of RAM.
It runs earlier versions of Flightgear. Struggles if I instal the latest version.
First priority for me is a good joystick as that will give you the feel for flying real light aeroplanes.
A new joystick needs to run from a well written joystick xml file. Some FG fliers add button modifiers and codes
themselves which can enhance flying FG planes immensely. Moving Viewpoints by buttons or axis makes interesting flying and interesting viewing too in recorded videos.
Foot pedals too if you have the space and want 100% realism.
Mouse & keyboard works fine for normal flight but joystick is much more realistic and essential if you do aerobatics as per my video....

sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby dilbert » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 am

Bergen on my I3
dilbert

Return to Hardware